light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive just tryed to put a new light up on the ceiling to be confussed by the 4 way wiring block that came with it ive put all the wires together both from the house wires the 2 reds 2 blacks and the earth and put them in the termial block with the 3 blue 3 brown and earth but im still left with one wire so i put it the spare hole in the block then put the power back on from the main trip switch and the lights were on so i tryed to switch them off by the switches on the wall but they on can any tell me what the spare wire is for and how to get my lights to switch off by the wall switches

many thanks

darren

Sponsored Links
Did you have a spare wire before then?
How was it wired before?
Have you wired the light as it was before, or have you wired it how you think it should be?

Have you made a note of how it was connected before, or did you take photographs?

From your description, the two lives (red) should go in a connector block on their own.
The two neutrals (black) should go to the N (blue) of the fitting.
The 'spare' wire should go to the L (brown) of the fitting.
The earth wires should go to the EARTH terminal of the fitting (green and yellow).

Have you got a photo of what you have? the fitting and the cables from ceiling.
But I agree with sparkwright as regards to the configuration of the wires.
Does the terminal block have any markings up, such as E, L, N, Loop?

Sponsored Links
can any tell me what the spare wire is for and how to get my lights to switch off by the wall switches
Yup: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

BTW - did you actually read back your post as written, rather than as you think you wrote it?

If you were speaking, would you really say things like "can any tell me what the spare wire is for"?

And do you speak with absolutely no pauses whatsoever, just one long uninterrupted stream of words until you're gasping for breath?

And do you really not know that the personal pronoun "I" and its derivatives should be capitalised?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back