Switch wire. 2 of 3 are live!

This is with the circuit on at the fuse box, is it?

What do you measure between each terminal and earth?
This is with the circuit on at the fuse box, is it?

What do you measure between each terminal and earth?
Yes, all fuses for ceiling lights at the box are on: there are three, one General 15 amp and two at 5 amp. No, I haven't measured between live, switched live and neutral to earth. My measurements so far are live to neutral for voltage (35V) and live to switched live for continuity. Will I get readings measuring from live to earth, switched live to earth and neutral to earth? I apologize for asking step by step instructions.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Your wiring is standard UK loop in wiring.
Take the rest of the afternoon understanding how loop in lighting circuits work.
You then have the knowledge to apply to the simple test instrument that you have.

You should then be able to sort this simple thing out.
England v Scotland game starts soon and I'm off to the pub.
I'll not be able to contribute anything other than derision on anything until the hangover has cleared- probably about Tuesday.

Have fun.

Yes, all fuses for ceiling lights at the box are on: there are three, one General 15 amp and two at 5 amp. No, I haven't measured between live, switched live and neutral to earth. My measurements so far are live to neutral for voltage (35V) and live to switched live for continuity. Will I get readings measuring from live to earth, switched live to earth and neutral to earth? I apologize for asking step by step instructions.
Just measured live to earth: 246V.

Lucky you.

Do you think the reading should be
1. more?
2. less?
3. that's probably about right?

I'm definately going now.

Sponsored Links
Your wiring is standard UK loop in wiring.
Take the rest of the afternoon understanding how loop in lighting circuits work.
You then have the knowledge to apply to the simple test instrument that you have.

You should then be able to sort this simple thing out.
England v Scotland game starts soon and I'm off to the pub.
I'll not be able to contribute anything other than derision on anything until the hangover has cleared- probably about Tuesday.

Have fun.

Exactly my wiring.

Attachments

• Common loop-in wiring.png
    Common loop-in wiring.png
    116.5 KB · Views: 84
I'd be looking at light no.1 and make sure that the blacks are right.
It sounds like you have got the out going neutral connected to the switched live.

I'd be looking at light no.1 and make sure that the blacks are right.
It sounds like you have got the out going neutral connected to the switched live.
Thanks for coming in. R1 has been checked and rechecked (the flex were also duly corrected) and all wires are properly connected to the block. R2 is still not working, see new photo.

Thanks for coming in. R1 has been checked and rechecked (the flex were also duly corrected) and all wires are properly connected to the block. R2 is still not working, see new photo.

Attachments

• Room 2.jpg
    Room 2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 90
So at R1 you have definitely made sure which black is the switch wire.?
With the power off checked which black has continuity when the switch in that room is on, and then open circuit with the switch off?

Edit: That is testing between the 3 reds and individual blacks.

Last edited:
So at R1 you have definitely made sure which black is the switch wire.?
With the power off checked which black has continuity when the switch in that room is on, and then open circuit with the switch off?

Edit: That is testing between the 3 reds and individual blacks.
Checked once again following your instructions step by step (and rechecked!) and the wiring is correct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back