Fitting a toilet to a static trailer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings!

I have a 45 foot trailer that I am converting into a house. It will not be moved about! So will remain static for the rest or most of its life.

Anyway I want to install a toilet with a septic tank and I want the toilet to be inside the trailer and the septic tank to be bolted under the trailer and be part of (what looks like) a moving trailer. Therefore I am going to need to bore holes though the trailer to join the toilet to the tank

What kind of toilet do you think I should use? A cheep traditional one with the U bend/ anti smell bend joint in the middle. Or the special eco flush type things you see on porter loos/ airoplains and buses est. What kind of tank do I need?

Thanks
AH

Sponsored Links
Admittedly I've just had a Google and it doesn’t look like a septic tank can be bolted to your trailer. It also says that they are emptied every three to five years. How big will this tank be? How do you plan to empty it?

I think you’d be best looking at the cartridge type wc system you get in caravans/motor homes. Something like this:

Last edited:
If it's some kind of planning dodge, you could mount the tank on a separate trailer and attach it to your trailer. You can buy (or make) tanks based on an IBC. You would need to get the heights of everything right as it's all gravity based.

Need to think this through. If you're bolting the tank under the trailer, it can only ever be a holding tank, and will need emptying as and when required, depending on usage. Bear in mind probably all your waste and soil will go into it, 1000 gallons capacity will soon fill up! If using a Caravan type portable WC, you'll need somewhere to empty it....

If you're staying put, then an underground package treatment plant will be a far superior idea. Use a conventional WC, connect to drain as you would normally, drain to treatment plant and it's fit and forget for all your waste and soil, for the next 12 months at least.

Sponsored Links
Admittedly I've just had a Google and it doesn’t look like a septic tank can be bolted to your trailer. It also says that they are emptied every three to five years. How big will this tank be? How do you plan to empty it?

I think you’d be best looking at the cartridge type wc system you get in caravans/motor homes. Something like this:

That video only shows the tank and not what kind of toilet, flush and header tank is being used
Persides the video look a bit of a joke to me (**** for brains spring to mind)

If it's some kind of planning dodge, you could mount the tank on a separate trailer and attach it to your trailer. You can buy (or make) tanks based on an IBC. You would need to get the heights of everything right as it's all gravity based.
Making a tank! dose that no sound like a major chalenge getting it water sealed tight that is
Surly the tank would need to be proper inlet and out let cut, to fit a proper toilet and a proper coupling for its disposal

If you're staying put, then an underground package treatment plant will be a far superior idea. Use a conventional WC, connect to drain as you would normally, drain to treatment plant and it's fit and forget for all your waste and soil, for the next 12 months at least.
an underground PTP sound mega mega money is it not! I mean if its somethin major that needs fitting to the ground then it all not work; it must be part of the trailer as it must be portable or look like it is

You can get underslung tanks for portable toilet blocks, but most are not sealed, just have a couple of holes in opposite corners to drop a 4" pipe into from the WC's etc, and something the other end to stick a tanker hose in to empty it. Ideally you'd want a tank with a 4" upstand to connect the soil pipe to and a 4" Male Bauer coupling for a Tanker to connect to to empty. Just bear in mind it'll fill quite quickly depending on your water usage, and once full will render the WC unusable until emptied.

Benefit of a Treatment Plant is, the water is cleaned, and can be discharged back into the ground to soakaway, just leaving the solid matter to be removed as required.

You can get underslung tanks for portable toilet blocks, but most are not sealed, just have a couple of holes in opposite corners to drop a 4" pipe into from the WC's etc, and something the other end to stick a tanker hose in to empty it. Ideally you'd want a tank with a 4" upstand to connect the soil pipe to and a 4" Male Bauer coupling for a Tanker to connect to to empty. Just bear in mind it'll fill quite quickly depending on your water usage, and once full will render the WC unusable until emptied.
What is an undersluge tank?

You say not sealed but have a couple of holes in. Do you mean the tank is complete sealed box appart from the inlet and outlet fittings and threads? do you mean there are 2x 4" holes which you make the fitting for your self?

Benefit of a Treatment Plant is, the water is cleaned, and can be discharged back into the ground to soakaway, just leaving the solid matter to be removed as required.
But would it work on a portable trailer/ caravan?

Park over a drain. ;)
What do you think running a full flush house hold domestic toilet straight into a man whole drain, and it wont block up, and no one will notice, and no one will give a ****!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back