Toilet tank not fixed to wall very well.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am currently tiling my bathroom walls and I noticed that the tank on the back of the toilet seems to move sideways against the wall when someone is sitting on the toilet.

When I looked down the back of the tank I noticed 2 rubber cylinders attached to it that go against the wall and there seem to be 2 corresponding holes in the wall which i assume the cylinders are supposed to go into to stop the tank from moving.

I think the problem is that alot of the plaster around that area has come away and so the cylinders are not fixed in the holes.

Is this what these two cylinders are for?

Does anyone have any ideas what I should do because I want to tile around the tank soon?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Tile behind the tank if you have enough clearance and screw it to the wall gently :D

I suspect the rubber cylinders are a kind of wallplug, and they have come loose. Look at the wall and decide if it made of plastered brick, or of plasterboard on wooden studs.

Take out the fixing screws, see how long and thick they are. Once the screws are out the rubber plugs will probably pull out too (they may bring some loose plaster with them).

If it is brick:

What you need to do is drill a hole deep enough into the wall that you can fit a new plastic plug and drive in a longer screw and it will grip into the bricks or blocks. You can put a bit of filler round your ragged hole for appearance, but do not rely on it to hold the cistern.

If it is plasterboard:

You can either drill right throgh and into the brick leaf behind, or try to finf where the studs are and fix a batten across two of them, and hang the cistern off that.

If you want to hang the cistern off plasterboard it will never be very strong but you can get new and bigger fixings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back