water tank to cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I need to move my water tank in the loft so I can add some stairs etc, while having a change around in the house.

There are 3 pipes going to the tank.
1 15mm pipe which is obviously water mains in
2 22mm pipe exit to cylinder
3 Pipe which looks to come up from the cylinder to the top of the tank.

My question is: is pipe 3 just an overflow/relief from the cylinder and do pipes 2 and 3 have to be directly above the cylinder or can I move the tank a couple of meters?

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
You mean you already have a cold water tank in the loft, and you are going to keep it in the loft, but move its position? And you also have a hot water cylinder, not in the loft, which is not moving?

Pipe 3 sounds like you are describing the vent from the top of the cylinder, up which hot water or steam might escape in the event of a fault. It should rise above the tank in an inverted "U" shape, and go through the lid but not touch the water in the tank. It does not have to be directly above the cylinder.

Sponsored Links
John D, you summed it up well, as long as it doesn't have to be directly above that's good. It is as you describe above the water with a U, but doesn't look like it has had a flow through it for a long time, which I can only assume is good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back