water cylinder in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking about moving my hot water cylinder with emersion heater and water tank from out of our daughter’s bedroom (which is in a cupboard in the corner of her room) and fitting a new cistern fed water cylinder in the loft. The only tank in the loft at the moment is my F+E tank, would the move be feasible, :confused: would you recommend one of these cistern fed tanks or build a cupboard in the loft to hold a cylinder tank and cold water tank above that one, would I have to move the F+E tank higher than the water cylinder, is it a simple case of just extending all the pipe work, :confused: I now it wouldn’t be simple but I need to know a lot of answers to all my question. All advice appreciated . :)

Sponsored Links
Similar questions have been answered before, search the forum.

Lots of snags unless you get an unvented cylinder fitted - lots of £££.

thanks oilman but i did go through most of the forum before i put my post on. would be helpful if u knew what page to go to or any links

Sponsored Links
I've just tried the search, it's pretty poor. I know it's been up before, but I haven't found anything either.

Try search for Bahco or Hot water tank in attic.
This should make you aware of what you may need to do. The weight factor needs to be addressed if you wish to attempt this.
Be aware that the feed cistern needs to be above the cylinder :)

With all the hassle of building a support for the cold cistern all the way up there, and a new cylinder etc. etc., I would just save up the pennies and go for an unvented system. I don't think you are allowed to commission these yourself, mind.

Issues with ordinary cylinder in loft
1) Weight. Not a real problem if you can put some large timbers to a wall etc
2) Freezing - you need extra frost stats and insulation
3) The feed cistern needs to have at least one metre between the bottom of the cistern and the top of the cylinder. Otherwise you get odd problems with air in funny places
4) electrics - CH controls and immersion supply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back