Can I use 22mm from hot water supply tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old galvanized tank is about 3 feet above the hot water cylinder which it supplies by a 28mm pipe. The hot from the cylinder is taken from the cylinder on a 22mm pipe. I am replacing the tank with a plastic one in the loft (about 6 feet above the cylinder), can I use 22mm feed?
The fittings and pipe work are considerably cheaper in 22mm than 28mm, and if the outlet is 22mm what's the point of feeding the cylinder with a 28mm pipe?

Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
My old galvanized tank is about 3 feet above the hot water cylinder which it supplies by a 28mm pipe. The hot from the cylinder is taken from the cylinder on a 22mm pipe. I am replacing the tank with a plastic one in the loft (about 6 feet above the cylinder), can I use 22mm feed?
The fittings and pipe work are considerably cheaper in 22mm than 28mm, and if the outlet is 22mm what's the point of feeding the cylinder with a 28mm pipe?

Thanks

Mike

you have answered your own question in the first sentence ;)

Maybe the original installer/designer was looking at ways to reduce his profit, or he had shares in the plumber's merchant.

Sponsored Links
in the original install the tank was only 3' above the cylinder so 28mm was the correct (not cheap) way to do it, but if you are doubling the head of water pressure then dropping to 22mm will be fine, try to keep bends to a minimum as 6' head is ok if tank is as near above cylinder as possible, you will have problems if tank is 6' above then several feet to the side as the horizontal pipework could kill the pressure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back