Size of Cold Supply to Hot Cylinder with Pump

So Agile, would you think that 28mm supply would be sufficient, it is only a small 1 bedroom flat, 1 sink, 1 basin and 1 shower to be pumped on the hot side with the cold being mains!

Thanks

Sorry I took that to read the cold feed was mains.

It would still be useful if we knew the model E7 :LOL:

No problem

It' just an economy 7 Hot (vented) Cylinder, 2 x immersion and twice the thickness insulation !

Sponsored Links
Two more silly questions then :rolleyes:

What is the head of the storage.

And does the cylinder have a secondary tapping on the side for the pump or are you connecting it to the top tapping with the vent between the cylinder and the pump feed.

Two more silly questions then :rolleyes:

What is the head of the storage.

And does the cylinder have a secondary tapping on the side for the pump or are you connecting it to the top tapping with the vent between the cylinder and the pump feed.

Cold storage tank base sits approx 12" (50 gallon) above ceiling, top of hot water cylinder is approx 48" below ceiling height, highest pumped hot outlet would be the shower at approx 12" below ceiling height, the feed to the S/Turner 3bar NEG pump would be via the top of the cylinder via a Surrey Flange.

Hope that helps

Sponsored Links
The output of the pump is irrelevant with a negative head pump.

Assuming the shower is no more than 20 L/min hot a 28mm cold feed would cope with the demand.

Is the 50 gallon nominal or actual, and while we atit what is the output of the shower.

How high is the cold tank - i.e. how much pressure do you have ? I am sure this has a bearing on the size of the pipe. If the cold is just 1 meter or less, then you would need a bigger pipe I would think.

Mixing mains cold and pumped hot - I think you will need a special mixer valve as well.

How high is the cold tank - i.e. how much pressure do you have ? I am sure this has a bearing on the size of the pipe. If the cold is just 1 meter or less, then you would need a bigger pipe I would think.

Mixing mains cold and pumped hot - I think you will need a special mixer valve as well.

0.2 bar dal5band, or 2m :rolleyes:

The output of the pump is irrelevant with a negative head pump.

Assuming the shower is no more than 20 L/min hot a 28mm cold feed would cope with the demand.

Is the 50 gallon nominal or actual, and while we atit what is the output of the shower.

Not sure if 50 gallon is nominal or actual (about 2" x 2" x 4" oblong). Have not purchased the shower yet but assume it would have to be a high pressure one, also a pressure equalizing valve before the shower is recommended, apart from a seperate pressure equalizing valve can you get them incorperated into the shower, if not does the valve have to accessable?

With this information to hand, is there any showers that could be recommended!

Would a lower 2 bar single neg pump have made much of a difference or have been more appropriate?

Thanks for your time, appreciated

Unless you were thinking power shower, an 2bar pump would be more than suitable, you would then have the option to fit an pressure reducing valve on the mains and match the pump pressure.

Unless you were thinking power shower, an 2bar pump would be more than suitable, you would then have the option to fit an pressure reducing valve on the mains and match the pump pressure.

So rather than a pressure equalizing valve on both hot and cold, just a pressure reducing valve on the cold main, would this valve be for shower only or all outlets! Can you adjust exactly to a specific bar pressure then?

The only reason I am with the 3 bar is that is unused and did not cost me the unused price! A 2 bar neg was actually recommended for my system by Stuart Turner!

Most good quality English showers will adjust for various pressure differences within reason.

The answer will depend on the mains pressure, I assume the mains to be low pressure or you wouldn't be fitting a pump.

That is unless you don't like unvented cylinders or Gledhill stores.

It may or may not be evident from above posts to the OP, some things that need to be considered are

1) The pump is going to pull water from the cylinder. If water into the cylinder is less than what the pump is pulling out, then the pump will start sucking water and air.

2) Another point to note is mains pressure cold water cross flowing through to hot side thus raising the level of cold water in the storage tank

3) Cross flow in 2 putting hot water in cold water storage tank. This can cause failure as hot water can make plastic unstable. 50 gallons is equal to 500 pounds. I would not want to be anywhere near this quantilty of water (especially not below it).

If I know half the stuff Doitall has forgotten, I would consider myself a good installer. Even the great make mistakes. Instead of throwing a wobbly, take advantage of his knowledge instead of delivering a kick in the jewels.

If above were my task/ project, I would bang in an unvented cylinder (mains pressure allowing) to enjoy equal pressure hot and cold supplies AND NO NOISE or failure of pumps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back