fitting a up and over garge door kit correctly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, Both wires broke on my garage door, I purchased a kit from ebay and down loaded the instructions on replacing the cones and wires. I sent all day last Sunday trying to fit them but the door is still not right as it does not stay up. I have wound on the tension on the spring, which according to the instructions supplied has the equivalent of 25 turns.

I did struggle installing the cones as in order to fit them I had to take the door off, which I did by taking out the coach bolts that hold the door to the frame. I had to do this twice as the wire cable keeps winding itself from the front instead of the back.

My wife says that I should get the professionals in, but before I do this has anybody else been successful in fitting these kits and what am I doing wrong?

I can supply pictures once I get home tonight.

Sponsored Links
Nasty job with those springs, I capitulated and got the professionals in cost £70 cash inclding the parts and took about 20 mins well worth it.

Edit mine was the type with the massive spring across the top like a giant mousetrap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back