Fitting a wireless thermostat to an old central heating time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, my current timer is a randhall 102 and controls both my heating and water, it works fine except its in a difficult place to get to, I dont have any current thermostat installed, but i was advised to buy a wireless thermostat as i'm wanting to control my heating without having to go to where the current timer is, so I bought a horstman hrfs1 from b&q (I know its probably not a great one but b&q is close).

The guy from b&q said I would be able to replace my timer with this, but I dont think I could as my current timer also controls my hot water, so what I think I need to do is wire the thermostat to my current timer, but sinceIi dont have a thermostat installed i dont really have a clue how to do this, could anybody help, please.

Sponsored Links
Also the reciever needs a live and neutral could i bridge a wire from my exisiting live and neutral of the timer?

You are right that you will still need the timer to control the DHW. Yes you can bridge the live and neutral from the timer to the new receiver. The contacts of the thermostat receiver need to be connected in series with the CH output of the timer. So connect the CH On output of the timer to the COM terminal of the receiver and connect the wire that you have removed from the CH On output of the timer to the NO output of the receiver.

You will probably need to use some choc bloc terminals to make the interconnections.

Thankyou, that seems very simple then, only thing im worried about is that my CHON is bridged to the pump as I dont currently have a thermostat installed, do I just take this out and wire it to the no output of the reciever yeh.

Sponsored Links
.. my CHON is bridged to the pump as I dont currently have a thermostat installed, do I just take this out and wire it to the no output of the reciever yeh.

It sounds like you have a gravity fed DHW system and pumped CH. So yes the pump will be switched from the NO output of the receiver.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back