Fitting a Yale type lock to a uPVC door with Eurolock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I know there are many forum posts on this subject but none ever seem to reach a satisfactory answer.

Basically, I prefer the old-style Yale lock for a number of reasons:

With a Euro lock, you need to lock it from the inside with a key. This has several disadvantages and no advantages that I can see.

If you leave the key in the lock it's (a) possibly accessible to burglars with cane and hook and (b) it prevents a key being used from outside - important for the elderly living alone where a neighbour may want to get in.

If you remove the key and leave it away from the door as advised by the Police (to prevent burglars using cane and hook), in the event of a fire you need access to both the front door and wherever you've stored the key whilst trying not to panic!

You have neither of these disadvantages with the old Yale style lock as you simply open the door from the inside by turning the knob (and maybe sliding the 'snib').

People overcame for years the one disadvantage of being able to lock yourself out and, to me, that's preferable to being caught in a fire and being unable to get out because you can't find the key, or being unconscious on the floor and nobody being able to get in because you've left the key in the lock.

So, besides replacing the complete door and frame with a conventional wooden one, does anyone know of any other solutions to what I consider an important dilemma?

John.

Sponsored Links
Ah, I didn't know they existed. Any link to get one online, please?

Ok, found one :)
thanks!

Sponsored Links
Apparently the fire brigade recommend the thumb turn locks, so that they can unlock the door easily. The main disadvantage is that a burglar can also unlock it easily after breaking the glass pane beside it.

The same way they could do to a old style Yale lock

Why can the fire brigade unlock a thumbturn easier?

Why can the fire brigade unlock a thumbturn easier?

Think it was meant to be the residents of the house can unlock the door easier , no looking for keys in the middle of an emergency.

As a side note ... If memory serves me right Document Q on building regs now states you have to put thumbturns in a new build....

I just had a quick scan through doc Q and it says you can have either key or non key lockable from inside.

I had thought you couldn't get Secured By Design rating with a thumbturn and I may be correct. I just tried it on Doorstop's site and it says a thumbturn is not available on SBD.

I don't know how SBD works, but the usual rule is that you have "deadlockable by key" doors, but in places where there is no other way out in case of fire, typically in blocks of flats, you are allowed a lock that you can open without a key from the inside, for emergency escape.

More modern yale-type locks include deadlockable nightlatches, so you can lock the knob by key, which is useful if you are going out and leaving the house empty, and some of these meet BS3621. They are more expensive than BS3631 5-lever mortice deadlocks, and I think not as good, although they are more convenient.

I ordered a thumbturn lock which arrived this morning. I could only find one site that listed the correct "offset" (40mm on the thumbturn side and 50mm on the outside) so I don't know how good - or otherwise - it is but I think it's preferable to the "key both sides" type for an older person living alone.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction,
John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back