Fitting aluminium sliding door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an aluminium patio door on order and i’d like to know best way to secure. It’s a cavity wall so could wedge wood blocks in the cavity and screw into that. But I’m thinking that the wedges could go loose as I screw into them. Are there any bespoke solutions out there that fit secure in the cavity and allow me to screw frame into. Or maybe screw at angle into outside brickwork, but I don’t like that idea because perhaps frame could become distorted.
Thanks as usual.

Sponsored Links
Looking at the bracket, I guess the clips fit the frame and the holes are for screwing into cavity. Does that mean the bracket is bent to fit on site?

If you haven't got a chamber in your outer frame I can't see how you could screw these onto an aluminum patio door, just saying like!

Sponsored Links
No I never said that, most patios if not all I've fitted the frames were of a single skin construction, how would you screw into the back of that and not have the screws coming right through

15 years ah well if I knew it was a d*** measuring contest......, I should win easily then with close on double yours.

If you think I have photos of every Monarch, Glostal and any other patio i've fitted since 1990 then your going to be disappointed. However I will admit I haven't fitted much in the last 10 years but thats due to all my time being taken up working for DG warranty suppliers as an insurance assessor so forgive me!

In any case I doubt the OP would want to start chopping plaster away to fix these brackets into the inner wall and then have all the making good/decorating to do after

Thanks to all for your help. Going to get a proper fitter in. He uses straps and since we are going to board out the reveals then skim, it should be easy to hide the straps. Our builder fitted two composite doors and went through the frame in both, I wish I had know about straps as both have been boarded on the reveals. It seems the strap method makes it a lot easier to achieve a top result. Live and learn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back