Fitting an external light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have tried to install a new outside light and run the power from an existing two way light switch that I have replaced with a 3 way light switch. I have connected the existing 3 way switch up so the existing lights work ok but cannot get the power to the new light outside? How do I go about getting the power to the 3rd light?

Any help would be gratefully recieved

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Normal format would be to take a L. N. E. feed from an existing light circuit, provide these either to the fitting or a junction box.

Then the switch cable interupts the L feed to the fitting / junction to provide switched L.

If a JB is used mid path then you will have 3 cables, 1 switch, 1 feed from existing LNE and 1 to the fitting.

Check the diagrams on the site Wiki if I'm talikng double Dutch.

If the cabling IS very old, you might want to think about safety and arrange a health check / PIR via a electrician. The Fire Brigade still attribute a lot of house fires to poor electrics (both aged and DIY bodges).

You say you have run the cable from the outside light to the switch.
Where are you going to pick up the neutral?

(and earth if it's an old installation with no earth to the lighting circuit)

Light switches only normally have Live feeds to them and switched lives to the fittings, they do not normally have a neutral terminal.
Have you got a picture of the switch wiring to show us?
Regards
FB

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back