Fitting an external thermostat for a gas boiler - possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother has an old-ish gas boiler (an Ideal Mexico Super 2 ) which has a temperature control knob on the front panel but that's it (plus of course a wall-mounted control panel to set the on/off times of the hot water and CH).

She would like to be able to regulate the temperature/cut-off point of the central heating by means of a thermostat located elsewhere in the property, possibly by situating one in the nearby hall (the boiler is in a separate, small room) - is this possible?

Would it be costly to buy and install?

Sponsored Links
Depending on what other controls system has . Does the boiler have 4 pipes coming off it or 2,
Is there any motorised valves on it or a manual valve to split heating and hot water

Ummm, afraid I don't have a clue as to the answers as I'm not at my mother's house right now.

Let's assume for now that it is suitable - roughly what would it cost for the relevant part and how much to fit it?

How long is a piece of string.
There is several types of suitable if its an old gravity system its just a matter of interupting the power supply to the pump which is probably just by the boiler,
If its fully pumped with motorised valves its a matter of getting wires back upto the wiring centre.
It may work out cheaper to use a wireless system cheapest about £50 dearest around£100 but may save more than the labour
Ttraditional stat around£12 plus all possible labour.
Its one of those jobs you cant price without lookin

Sponsored Links
Thanks, looks like I'll need to get her to get the plumber out then. Re wireless - I was thinking of that, any disadvantages to using wireless in this instance?

na they have been in wide spread use now for about ten years and have proved to be a relaible bit of kit

Ta. Any recommended ones, or do they vary a lot depending on the installation?

Danfoss and drayton at around £80 are the most popular, but the siemens at around £45 would be ideal for a pensioner large screen with digital display and a knob on front to turn up and down really simple to use

Thanks very much. Does Siemens only do one model or do you have a model number so I can look it up please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back