British gas RD1 boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Gas CH and HW heating has packed up and I cant get it going
The boiler is a RD1 system (I think is Brit Gas supplied) The boiler front panel has an eyeglass on the front with a variable 1-6 front panel control . There is also a reset switch.
When the thermostat control panel is commanded to HW and/or CH "On"
the heating fails to respond. However there is a clicking sound coming from the boiler as if it is trying to ignite the gas. There is also a clicking sound coming from the relay unit in the airing cupboard which should directs the hot water flow to the commanded position. I have taken off the relay from the valve assembly and can confirm that it is following the command from the thermostat unit (ie HW and or CH).
Has anyone any suggestions for possible fault diagnosis.
The above valve by the way can be manually moved so I assume that is not the problem unless it is somthing to do with tellback commands to the boiler.
I havent checked the water pump either.
At no time during this exercise is a flame seen in the sight glass.
Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Sounds lke you have a switchmaster actuator which does click and is supposed to and probably a shorting electrode lead on the boiler. Presume your incoming gas supply is ok?

Sounds lke you have a switchmaster actuator which does click and is supposed to and probably a shorting electrode lead on the boiler. Presume your incoming gas supply is ok?

Yes Gas is ok.
By switchmaster are you referring to the Boiler or the 3 way valve?
Are you saying that there could be a short in the boiler ?

Yes Gas is ok.
By switchmaster are you referring to the Boiler or the 3 way valve?
Are you saying that there could be a short in the boiler ?

switchmaster 3 way valve I am guessing and a short on the electrode lead so it sparks on the sase somewhere rather than the pilot.

Sponsored Links
The internal temperature sensors could have packed in.... very common on these boilers....

Fixed price repair from BG and if your lucky the man or lady might have the sensors in the van!

RD1 has a hot surface igniter, do you see a glow in the window when boiler is trying to light.

Sorry clicking from the boiler led me astray, forgot it was glowcoil :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back