Boiler ignition problem - British Gas RD1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I own a British Gas RD1 boiler, which is not automatically igniting when the boiler is either turned on manually or via the separate timer.

From reading though the manual, it is my understanding that rather than operating with a permanent pilot light, an electrode runs from a PCB over a small gas valve. When the boiler is operated, gas feeds through the valve and is ignited by the electrode. This pilot light/injector then ignites the main gas burner.

Whilst gas is feeding the main burner, it is not being ignited. The boiler will attempt the ignition process four/five times, but then stop when the main burner does not ignite.

It is still possible to operate the boiler – by adopting the old fashioned method of lighting the gas burner with a match (which I have been doing for a period of time) but clearly this is far from optimal.

I am therefore attempting to find the most sensible method of getting the boiler fixed at a reasonable cost. Whilst I am a competent individual and can read through a manual, I am far from an engineer or boiler expert. I have contacted British Gas and they have quoted a fixed fee of £210 – which is rather excessive as a bit of searching on the net suggests that the parts at fault will cost little more than £20.

Based on the above, what is a reasonable cost to expect to repair a problem of the above nature? Aside from obtaining a recommendation, where is the best place to locate an appropriate engineer to fix the above - I am based in Highbury, London.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It is actually a glow coil on this boiler. If you see it lighting but dimly a wee tip is to turn the gas off then put boiler through ignition sequence 3 times. as it does this the boiler will increase the voltage to coil each time. Making it light at hottest possible voltage.
If it not lighting at all then it will probably need replaced not expensive and relatively straightforward to do.!

There is a set of thermistors inside this boiler that is a very common part to fail aswell, shown by LED3 on the PCB flashing.

Sponsored Links
British gas installed RD1 boiler nearly 8 years ago for which I paid nearly £4000. Every year I am having the same sort of problem you are facing with the ignition/thermostat. I can't get hold of the manual of British gas RD1 at the moment. Please advise me to where I could get hold of one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back