Fitting an outside light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In my utility room I have a light switch on the wall near the back door and I'd like to put an outside light on the other side of the wall and then change the utility room light switch to a double.

Can I do this easily (ie take the power from the feed coming to the switch) or have a I got to tear utility room apart trying to find other wires?!

Thanks

Simon

Sponsored Links
How many wires do you have in the back of the existing switch and where do they connect? Likelyhood is you won't have a neutral in the switch so it will probably involve running more cables in.

The easiest way is putting a DP switched fuse-connection unit off the downstairs ring main (with a 3 amp fuse in it), and running the outside light off that, far easier to wire, as using the lightswitch can entail some very complex wiring work.

The FCU spur can be taken off at a convenient point in the ring main.

Furthermore the downstairs ring is likely to be RCD protected - good for outdoor lighting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back