Fitting another TV Ariel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi has anyone here fitted an additional terrestrial tv ariel other than to the roof? I want to add another TV to a side too in the house and it isn't possible to extend or split existing cabling because I know you lose quality with splitters (unless proven otherwise?).

I have a flat roof section next to the main house roof where the original aerial is - does anyone know if I will get a good enough signal from here or even side of the house for freeview?

Sponsored Links
I'd use a dedicated aerial distribution box, and not bother with an additional aerial. Those y splitters are indeed a bit rubbish, but a proper distribution amp, should be fine. I can't tell you whether or not you'll get freeview reception, unfortunately it depends on very many factors.

Eddie M said:
I'd use a dedicated aerial distribution box, and not bother with an additional aerial. Those y splitters are indeed a bit rubbish, but a proper distribution amp, should be fine. I can't tell you whether or not you'll get freeview reception, unfortunately it depends on very many factors.

The poster has said 'its not possible to split or join'

As long as you can fit the new aerial & point it in the right direction, I cant see any problems, regarding freeview if you can receive it on the excisting aerial you should be ok on the new one.

I'm of the school that if you have an aerial why clutter up the roof area with another aerial.

Could you not position a £10-£20 TV amp at your existing aerial termination area (by the TV) and then run a 2nd co-ax from there to your new TV location?

Aerials cost £15-£35, so the cost will be about the same.

Regarding Freeview, go to the Freeview site via Goggle and pump in your post code and that will tell you about availability, signal strength, aerial type and direction of aerial to hit the local transmitter.

if your not happy with Freeview, a digital aerial will be the answer.

Most amplifiers boost the TV aerial signal between 6-12 Db, this can help with signal strength in outline Freeview areas.

The other alternative is to buy a master head amplifier / spliter that sits near to the aerial and run a 2nd cablle from the aerial, cost £10-£15.

Add cable and clips to your project costs. Google Satcure for a decent reference site which should help you, should my post be double dutch.

Sponsored Links
Diyisfun said:
Eddie M said:

The poster has said 'its not possible to split or join'

As long as you can fit the new aerial & point it in the right direction, I cant see any problems, regarding freeview if you can receive it on the excisting aerial you should be ok on the new one.

Well I'm not sure the OP did, to parphrase it is not possible to split because of loss of quality. This is not the case is using a proper distirbution amp.

Eddie I beleive the OP made a statement. Anyway lets not argue. :confused:

Akshay said:
It isn't possible to extend or split existing cabling because I know you lose quality with splitters (unless proven otherwise?).

Means he is quite happy to split if quality can be maintained...Arguing is much more fun... ;)

And don't be tempted to go and buy the biggest, highest gain freeview antenna that you can find without talking to an aerial tech first... my Dad did this and then wondered why the picture on his shiny new Sony freeview box was worse on some channels whilst other channels just didn't work at all.

To add insult to injury, a £25 ASDA el cheapo freeview box worked fine.

Problem was excessive signal - he lives within 8 miles of the Sutton Colfield mast. Once I'd introduced a 9dB attenuator in the downlead all was well. No idea why he changed the antenna in the first place :rolleyes:

Bear in mind if you use a Y splitter then it will introduce a couple of dB loss, so a marginally working system may be adversely affected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back