TV Aerial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The main TV aerial socket in my lounge has a double outlet, one is for a satellite dish, the other is a terrestrial outlet for BBC1, 2 etc ( both good signals). Inside this socket each is wired with a separate black coaxial cable. (It may be that this system also supplies other adjacent properties).
There is also another standard TV socket in the lounge, and one in each of the other rooms all wired with white coaxial and these common up to a four way splitter. I suspect the splitter incomer may not be connected to anything as the signal from the white coaxial sockets is almost non existant.
Would the black terrestrial cable come from the satellite dish or an associated aerial? I would like to know if I can connect the black terrestrial cable to the white coaxial system in my house in order to get a decent signal in the other rooms.

Sponsored Links
Is the other standard TV socket in the lounge close by the dual one?

It was common in multi-distribution systems in flats and the like to have a 'main point' supplied from the multi-distro feeding the entire block so to speak, and then have a cable from adjacent the 'main point' to a cupboard somewhere where you would find a distribution amplifier feeding your other sockets.

It was done this way so you could take the RF2 output from a sky box and feed it 'into' the standard wall plate, thus giving all other rooms Terrestrial and a single channel of sky.

If the distribution amplifier has DC bypass, you can also use the sky magic eyes to change channel from other rooms.

It sounds a little dated, as these days it is common to see TWO sky points on the wall for sky+, and then the RF distributed to each room with additional single sky points for extra sky or free sat boxes in these other rooms.

There are some very complex boosters/splitters available which combine and split signals allowing two cables to both feed and take a return to the loft which can then be distributed throughout the house allowing both terrestrial and sky to be viewed in all rooms and even include a remote repeater so the sky channel can be changed in other rooms.
But as you may expect they are not cheap.

I use a cheap method with three cables which allows me to watch Sky paid for, Sky free to air, DVD player, and VCR plus terrestrial in all bedrooms using a simple 4 way splitter/booster.

As Lectrician says you may already have it part installed but what are you prepared to pay? See http://www.screwfix.com/prods/26301...ribution/Labgear-Home-Distribution-Unit-4-Way and remember the wall sockets to go with it are also required.
I can think of better things to spend my money on!

Many thanks for your replies chaps. Yes the standard TV socket is very close to the main socket. Sounds as if my internal system has never been connected, (properties about 4-5 years old). I may be able to do something to improve the terrestrial (RF)signals in the other rooms, not too bothered about the satellite just now as I can then use a digibox. The internal system 4 way splitter is actually in the utilities cupboard along with the consumer unit, boiler etc. One more query, would the RF signal coming in to the property come from a separate aerial or is the satellite signal converted to provide RF in some way? Anyway I'll have another poke about when I've a few mins to spare.

Sponsored Links
If no sky box, take the UHF from the wall (terrestrial) using a Y splitter. One to your main TV and the other feeding the other wall plate which will then feed the booster in your cupboard for the other TV's.

This is how it is likely intended to be.

You may need to replace the Y splitter for an active splitter or powered distribution amp (2 way).

The sky box has two RF outputs, one for the TV and one for the rest of the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back