Fitting basin in downstairs w/c - waste advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

This is my first post so here we go :confused:

I'm in the process of gutting the downstairs w/c and ideally, I would like to fit a small basin in there.

What I am wanting to know is..... can the waste from the basin be connected into toilet waste pipe which is a 90 deg bend straight down into the floor?
The waste would run around the w/c wall before entering, so it wont be a vertical pipe entry.

I have had a word with our bylaws guy and he seems to think that it wouldn't work as the pressure created by the sudden surge of water when the toilet is flushed could pull the joints apart and also syphon the water from the bottle trap on the basin, allowing the nasty smell to rise through the basin.

If this does happen, would the fitting of a Anti-vac trap prevent this from happening?

The w/c is not near any waste drain outside, nor is it near any other waste pipes which it could be connected into, so I hope that there is some way of making it work.

Sorry about the length of the post.
Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Sponsored Links
ywsian said:
What I am wanting to know is..... can the waste from the basin be connected into toilet waste pipe which is a 90 deg bend straight down into the floor?
You can use a pan connector that includes a boss that takes a basin waste pipe.

ywsian said:
I have had a word with our bylaws guy
Wot's one of them?!

ywsian said:
...and he seems to think that it wouldn't work as the pressure created by the sudden surge of water when the toilet is flushed could pull the joints apart
:!: :eek:

ywsian said:
...and also syphon the water from the bottle trap on the basin, allowing the nasty smell to rise through the basin.
Quite likely that it would.

ywsian said:
If this does happen, would the fitting of a Anti-vac trap prevent this from happening?
Yes.

Thanks for that Softus,
From what you have said it should work ok as long as i fit an anti-vac trap?
I will give it a go..... do you know anywhere that does the 90 deg pan connector with a basin boss? or can I just buy a boss to strap round the existing pan connector?

The "bylaws guy" is one of our guys at work (work for a water company) who checks out new/old properties to make sure they conform to the legal bylaws spec.

ywsian said:
From what you have said it should work ok as long as i fit an anti-vac trap?
I would expect it to, all other things being equal.

ywsian said:
I will give it a go..... do you know anywhere that does the 90 deg pan connector with a basin boss?
Um, here?

ywsian said:
...or can I just buy a boss to strap round the existing pan connector?
Never seen one of those, personally.

ywsian said:
The "bylaws guy" is one of our guys at work (work for a water company) who checks out new/old properties to make sure they conform to the legal bylaws spec.
He's not a plumber then! BTW, the term "byelaws" is a very outmoded one, since the introduction of "The Water Regulations" in 1999.

Sponsored Links
Yes the bylaws term is an old term, especially since water regs came in, but I would say that most plumbers would know the bylaws inspector, rather than the water regs inspector.
..... and he is a plumber too :)

Also found out from an old mate I saw today, that he had come across the problem with the flush water syphoning the trap on a shower tray.
He sorted that by fitting another trap in-line, so that it can syphon the first trap, but not the next.
So that one to remember for future reference :D [/quote]

ywsian said:
..... and he is a plumber too :)
What kind of plumber is this:

the bylaws guy said:
seems to think that it wouldn't work as the pressure created by the sudden surge of water when the toilet is flushed could pull the joints apart...
:!: :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back