Fitting bath taps on long side of bath against wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of putting a thermostatic bath shower mixer in. Maybe on the long side of a new bath, which is against a solid brick wall (an outside wall).

I imagine the process will be:

1. With the bath out run the supplies in copper to where they need to be.

2. Put in 90 elbows (or even better, bend, less joints to leak) pointing up.

3. Cut them to the right approximate lengths for flexible connectors.

4. Fit flexible connectors.

5. Fit mixer to bath.

6. With it a few inches away from wall connect flexible connectors to underside of mixer.

7. Fire up supply, check for leaks, tighten compression joints if necessary. Run shower (into bucket for a bit) etc. etc.

8. If all OK fit bath to wall, tile it in etc. etc.

What worries me if there's any problems access is almost impossible. It might just about be possible to get a spanner on the compression joints, if they're low enough, at the bottom end of the flexis, but any problem with the tap connectors, or if the mixer needs to come off, forget it.

Presumably the only thing then is to break the seal between bath and tiles and tease it away from the wall, and hope it doesn't bring too many tiles with it.

Is it a bad idea to fit the mixer where I propose.

cheers, Mike

Sponsored Links
Why does everyone want to use flexible hoses on taps? Throw them away!

Use solid copper, withthe tap fixed to the bath and the pipes connectd to the tap and also clipped to the underside of the bath. You'll have to use a bit of ingenuity for that, cos if you let the pipes waggle while you're installing they'll undo from the taps. If it's a plastic bath there's usually a wood panel on the bottom, and if metal, use gripfill and stick a bit of wood on.

Use L shaped pipe so you can connect at the front.

Thanks. Is there a problem with flexible connectors?

But going with what you suggest, is plain copper to tap tails a compression joint? This will be 15mm copper to a 3/4" bath tail. What's the connection there?

Cheers, Mike

Sponsored Links
I found the easiest way way to use speed fit pipe as tails and make the connection at the front. :rolleyes:

That way you can give it a test before fixing the bath.

Is there a problem with flexible connectors?

Not on a deck mixer no, on single taps they are crap, sure you can see why.. and it's what you said, a 3/4 to 15mm tap connector... and if your doubt your soldering use push fit.

Best way install the taps and the tails before putting the bath in place, get the taps on tight, and the tails fairly tight, and you could even test it before hand then put it in place and conect to your supply

Thanks. I can't actually see why flexible connectors are rubbish with single taps. But this is all new to me.

I imagining this then. I put the deck mixer on. Tight. I solder 15mm to 3/4" tap connectors onto my copper. I don't want a compression joint up there. The copper is bent (or else a 90 degree elbow) underneath the bath. Connect up, before the bath is tiled in. Check for leaks.

One question then. With compression joints I've always done them finger tight, then a bit of turn with a spanner. Turn whatever water it is back on. Wait for any leaks, then gently tighten till the leaks stop. Check every so often. And that's always worked fine.

But with a tap connector, what sort of tightness? As tight as possible? Is it possible to crush the washer in the same way that you can overtighten a compression joint?

Cheers.

Use speedfit tap connectors with the O rings, brilliant, short length of pipe, valve on the end and test, takes one good pump with the test bucket.

Fit bath and connect to pipes.

Fitting mixer taps in a position where their removal necessitates removal of the bath and damaging the tiles is in my view a bridge too far in the balance between fashion and practicality.

How you connect the pipework is easily addressed but you have to have absolute faith in the product itself. Nowadays most brassware is imported and the brand name is just a UK warehouse/marketing operation. The more swanky the design, the less the odds of getting spares 5 years down the line.

Are you feeling lucky?

Fitting mixer taps in a position where their removal necessitates removal of the bath and damaging the tiles is in my view a bridge too far in the balance between fashion and practicality.

How you connect the pipework is easily addressed but you have to have absolute faith in the product itself. Nowadays most brassware is imported and the brand name is just a UK warehouse/marketing operation. The more swanky the design, the less the odds of getting spares 5 years down the line.

Are you feeling lucky?

As the man said!

My sentiments exactly!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back