Bath Inlet and Overflow, connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am about to install a new bath which I have purchased with a combined overflow and filler, which will be fed by a mixer/diverter mounted on the wall above the bath, which will feed both the bath and the shower above the bath. The connector on the side of the filler/overflow is ½”BSP and I was planning to connect between the mixer tap and the filler with 22mm copper. However I have the following questions :

I had always assumed that the filler/overflow should be positioned on the same wall as the mixer, but this gives me a problem with how to connect the 22mm pipe from the mixer to the filler. There is no way to access the back of the filler once the bath is in position. If I connect to the filler 1st and then connect to the mixer I will have to cut a channel in the plasterboard and not tile between the pipe run and the mixer, until after the bath is installed, I don’t really want to follow this route as I don’t want to break the plasterboard at the lip of the bath to maintain the seal on this edge.

So I have considered using a flexible pipe connected to a 22mm copper pipe that runs down from the mixer and connected to 22mm copper that goes into the filler. This would allow the bath filler to be connected and then the bath slid into its location. However the maximum bore flexible pipe I could find was 13mm so would this restrict the flow to the bath, considering that he connection to the filler is ½”bsp anyway ? and that there is both hot and cold running down the same pipe (the hot water system is supplied by a Megaflow)

The other option I considered this morning was to turn the bath through 180 degrees and mount the filler on the outer edge off the bath (i.e. away from the wall) This would make fixing a lot easier for both the filler and the waste as they will both be on the accessible side of the bath. However will this be ok because the 22mm copper from the mixer will run under the bath and then back up to the filler so a lot longer run than before (1/2m compared with probably nearer 2m)

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

If everything is mains pressure, which it sounds like it is, yes no rpoblem with the extended run of 22mm, alothoug would be better if everything was run in 15mm.

I can never understand why people mount these mixers on the wall side of the bath, unless you have easy access from the room nextdoor, or from underneath, then everything has to be rippied out to fix any problems.

Much better fitting on the open roomside.

Rico
:cool:

Hi why would it be better in to complete the complete run in 15mm ?

I am having the Megaflow installed to improve flow and pressure to all showers/baths etc. so to allow the bath to fill up quicker I assumed 22mm would be the correct way to go. Especially as the hot and cold to the mixer are 22mm, but I obvioulsy stand to be corrected

Hi there,

Its ok to do all the pipwork in 22mm as that is what you have already, this size is normally used on gravity systems to increase the flow rate.

On mains systems, 15mm is used as you don't need any additonal "help" to increase the flow, and on mains systems using 22mm does'nt make any real difference to the flow.

So to sum up, it's OK to do your pipework in 22mm.

Rico

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back