Help with fitting a shower to a bath tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have a bathroom with only a bath and no shower and want to place a shower in with minimum fuss.

The bath filler spout is one of those large spouts that come out of the wall with the mixer higher up on the wall above it, so it's not a standard mixer coming out of the bath. Would it be possible to just unscrew the filler spout from the wall and replace it with one that can connect a shower hose to it or would I need to buy something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Croydex-Secura-Safe-Tap-Fitting-Shower-Head-Hose-Set-/180692987167 but I would need one that can fit a large bath mixer of approx 4" circumference

Here is a picture of the bath
30m8qvm.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I think you'll have a bit of a problem with this idea- those push on things are pretty naff at the best of times and in any case not suitable for outlets like this one.
The American solution looks well, but who knows if it would fit!
Either a complete new tap set up or an electric shower would be my solution.
John :)

Thanks for the reply

Yes so frustrating to not be able to come up with an easy solution for this, I can't believe the person who gave the original spec when it was bought thought having an ensuite bath only was a good idea.

I will have a look to see if the end of the filler comes out to fit something like the American solution, although like you say, would the threads even be the same?!

So removing just the filler and finding a replacement one with a diverter in it would not work?

Sponsored Links
Seriously, I'm not trying to be pessimistic about this one.....my worries would be if the 'add on' spout with shower connection didn't fit properly, or caused a leak inside the wall etc - dimensionally the new spout would have to be identical to the old one, and I would doubt if the chances of that were high.
Is an electric shower out of the question? You need mains pressure water and access to feed a large cable to achieve this.
Lets wait and see what the others say!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back