Fitting blinds

S

SaladFingers

I've fitted a few blinds in the past and it's gone ok, though not perfect.

I want to fit a few more blinds, into the window recess. What tips can you advise me on? I've been considering fixing some batten on first, then securing the blind to that, as it may make it fit easier and more accurately.

Ta.

Sponsored Links
Difficult to give advice without information, wood/pvc windows? walls ? plaster, plasterboard, steel,concrete, lintel? etc.etc

i agree with Mr Foxhole
more information is needed
type of window
type of walls
type of blind

I've just fitted some Venetian blinds round a bay window and i installed a timber batten first, but in the bathroom i fix in to the wall and in the kitchen i fix into the UPVC window.
it all depends on the individual situation

Make sure the window will open with blind + bracket, we just made the mistake of fitting blinds in the recess, trouble is the bracket takes it so far from the top that the window catches! :cry:

Sponsored Links
I should have made myself a bit clearer.

Reason I asked is because of the difficulty of drilling into the lintel to be absolutely accurate and how difficult it would be fitting the drill in the corners - the reason I though of a batten.

I wasn't thinking of fixing to the window, I don't think that's very nice.

If its issues with a concrete lintel, you need an SDS drill. I struggled getting in with a hammer drill without slipping about, but the SDS drill made it very easy.

If its issues with a concrete lintel, you need an SDS drill. I struggled getting in with a hammer drill without slipping about, but the SDS drill made it very easy.

I've got an sds drill, but the problem I've had in the past is that the fixings fit on the ends, so for recess fixing, there is very little room to swing a drill into the corners.

I fitted aluminium blinds today and I must say they're the best I've had, as the fixings can go anywhere you like, so I put them 50mm inwards so there were room for my drill. I hadn't opened the packaging before the start of this thread, so were expecting the same as I had with the pvc B&Q ones. Todays ones were from Paul Simon.

B&Q venetian blinds from the sound of it? Their clip system is crap, they never fit tight without wedges being added. And the clips being at the end.

The ones I usually fit at home are like you describe; the clip can be fitted any place along the length of the blind, except in a couple of places where there are metal rods across the header bits). Only thing is they can be pretty hard to close onto the blind!

Yes.

And to add, I've always been apprehensive of drilling into lintels, just incase of a fracture and causing structural damage. Though, hopefully it's only just an apprehension.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back