Flappy roller blinds - a clever solution, anyone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am finally fixing blinds to the back of my house having realised that the neighbours have been using our kitchen/diner as free entertainment for the past few months. :oops:

I'm looking for a clever idea to secure the lath of the roller blinds to the window sill when the blinds are down. Has anyone done this before?

Thanking y'all kindly!

Sponsored Links
How about self adhesive velcro? A bit on the blind bottom corners, and the matching bit on the sill? Homebase do it by the roll.
John :)

Don't see the problem if the blind reach the sill no one can see in?

I think it's the flappy bit he's bothered about..
if you secure the bottom of the blind and release the lock then it tries to wind it back up, putting the blind under tension and stopping it flapping in the breeze / draught..

you could get a couple of the slot in oval wardrobe rail ends and mount them upside down?
p4771341_x.jpg

it would depend of course how wide the bottom lath is..

Sponsored Links
That's really useful, thanks both. I'm not too keen on using velcro as the missus says it'll look "tacky" (seems everything I do is tacky these days :rolleyes: ).

ColJack, I think I get what you mean. The idea is to use soemthing which the lath slots into and then pull back on the chain to create tension, right? I'm liking the theory there.

Does anyone know of an actuall fixing used for this? It's to stop a roller blind from moving around once it is dropped.

That'd work on one of the windows I suppose, but two of the windows are on either side of the back door, so they aren't in a full recess - if you catch my drift - nothing to fix it to!

Simple cup hook on base of either side of blind, recessed blinds can be run inside an ali or plastic U channel on either side giving total seal.
For no visible fixing add steel rod to base instead of existing and it's weight will prevent 'flapping'.

hook at each end of the blind and an eye screwed into the window board at each end

You get hold down brackets for venetian blinds which might do the trick. As long as there is enough of the bottom rail to drill a tiny little hole in (if there's not one there already), you could use this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/25MM-HOLD-DOW...Curtains_Blinds_Blinds_EH?hash=item2a03d457a3

I know you've got the roller blinds but for windows without a recess, Roman blinds are really good because they fit almost flush against the window frame. Some can be a bit expensive to buy but they're easy enough to make - it's the measuring that's the hardest bit.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
sounds a daft question, BUT, have you fitted the blind with the roll of fabric coming out of the back of the top tube, or at the front? Like a

P or 9 as this may help, also removing the bottom wood or plastic tube and replace with chrome or copper tube adding a bit more weight.

This is a major issue with rollers on just about every surface mounted job I ever fitted. (Conservatories, don't even go there)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back