1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Fitting Carpet Underlay - Which Stapler?

Discussion in 'Floors, Stairs and Lofts' started by Damian30, 29 Mar 2008.

1. Damian30

Damian30

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

I need to fit some 11mm PU/APT carpet underlay to a chipboard floor.

There are lots of staplers available at screwfix but can anyone advise which one is best for my needs or all they all much the same?

I guess some drive the staples at greater velocities to penetrate the subfloor but not sure what is best for my needs.

Many thanks for any information you can provide.

Damian

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Jaffa72

Jaffa72

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

Whilst im not an expert with carpet underlay, i used the hammer tacker type stapler (which is sold at screwfix £16.99) to fix my underlay.It lists it as being suitable for the job.
    My stapler(which i use for roofing felt) is a heavier type which cost me IIRC £50.Looking at the one mentioned in screwfix it looks adequate for the job you need it for,however i would have thought any of the other HEAVYDUTY staplers would be ok, plus you could use it for more jobs than the hammer tacker would allow.

4. keilo

keilo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    hammer tacker stapler is best, but if you need to spend 17 quid and then some more for the actual staples, why not pay the 40 quid it would cost for a fitter to do it, and then have piece of mind that its fitted correctly?

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local