Fitting Cast Iron Fireplace???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was hoping to fit my new cast iron fireplace and surround this weekend but have a nagging in the back of my mind as the guy i bought if from confused me a little. he said that i can just fit it as it is or if i intend to have roaring fires every night i should fit a concrete fireback.

I dont intend to use the fire much its more decorative than anything but would like to be able to use it if the mood takes me.

would it be advisable to fit a concrete fire back or would the cast iron fireplace be sufficient?

Cheers
Lee

Sponsored Links
would it be advisable to fit a concrete fire back or would the cast iron fireplace be sufficient?
Was the old fire back removed from your chimney or was it left in place and just boarded over?

How much did you pay for it? I'm looking at reproduction fireplaces, which cost hundreds.

To avoid considerable heat loss from behind your fire surround, the area behind should be bricked up as far as you can, and then any further areas packed with a cement and vermiculite mix.
John :)

If it`s brand new you`ll need to have small fires anyway..so the metal is annealed over time :idea:

Sponsored Links
Was the old fire back removed from your chimney or was it left in place and just boarded over?

How much did you pay for it? I'm looking at reproduction fireplaces, which cost hundreds.

Its totally open and i bought it from ebay for 150 its just arrived and looks great.

If it`s brand new you`ll need to have small fires anyway..so the metal is annealed over time :idea:

Thanks nige.

how small should the fires be and what kind of time scale would you recommend?

cheers

We just got one ourselves - Cast Iron Victorian repro with mantel etc. missed the winter :oops: so next winter we`ll basically keep the coal away from the sides/back metal - piled up in the middle to the front, and use ordinary coal - not smokeless- which AFAIK burns hotter. And we`re not in a Smokeless zone :idea: Probably for the season . Then the next year let it touch. No point in making massive fires in any case- most of the heat goes up the chimney. Gives you something to do over the evening - putting a couple of lumps on every few minutes ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back