Fitting Danfoss TVRs to 10mm heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a number of Danfoss thermostatic rad valves to fit to my existing 10mm system. I had expected that the valves would come with normal 10mm compression fittings that I could simply attach to the existing nut and olive on the end of the pipe at each Rad. But in fact the valves are normal 15mm fittings with the addition of a 10mm brass bush which fits onto the end of the pipe. My problem is that there is no obvious way of making a seal between the pipe and the bush - it obviously does not tighten on the pipe as the nut is tightened and there is equally obviously no room for the normal olive fitting. I'm sure that there is a perfectly obvious answer to this problem - anyone know what it is?

Sponsored Links
Insert the bush over the 10mm pipe and add a little jointing compound. Tighten up and as you feel the nut get tight keep going and you will hear and feel a 'crack'. keep going and tighten till you are happy it is enough. Do not over tighten, you can always tighten a further 1/4 turn if you get a drip.

Some will say you do not need the jointing compound, but I am set in my ways.

normally the conversion kit comes in 3 parts large bit with O/D15mm I/D10mm changing to smaller end to stop pipe going right through a 10mm olive and a small bit again 15/10mm but with the 10mm right through this is then all locked together by the valve and the 15mm nut
we usually get them at plumb center

gas4you said:
Insert the bush over the 10mm pipe and add a little jointing compound. Tighten up and as you feel the nut get tight keep going and you will hear and feel a 'crack'. keep going and tighten till you are happy it is enough. Do not over tighten, you can always tighten a further 1/4 turn if you get a drip.

Thanks Dave that's really useful. I will give it a go

Sponsored Links
kevindgas said:
normally the conversion kit comes in 3 parts large bit with O/D15mm I/D10mm changing to smaller end to stop pipe going right through a 10mm olive and a small bit again 15/10mm but with the 10mm right through this is then all locked together by the valve and the 15mm nut
we usually get them at plumb center

Thanks kevindgas but that sounds like yet another variation . This one has just the single 10mm insert and no olive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back