Fitting dual kitchen taps when existing gap is 20cm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, we'd like to change our kitchen taps that are mounted on a steel sink.

Annoyingly our existing are 'traditional' looking but with a 20cm gap between tap hole centres.

It seems 18cm is more of a standard and although traditional designs sometimes have a flexibility on distance, the more modern designs seem quite fixed at 18cm.

Ideally we'd have this kind of style:

upload_2021-2-16_12-18-7.png

I wondered if I could make the existing holes bigger then use some kind of chrome mount that could go under these taps to cover the holes. Like 2 discs, or losenge shaped things.

Or maybe another trick to getting around this issue?

Obviously replacing whole sink is an option, but that might be beyond my very basic DIY abilities.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-16_12-17-41.png
    upload_2021-2-16_12-17-41.png
    356.2 KB · Views: 71
Sponsored Links
1. Don't underestimate how difficult it is to cut thin stainless steel sheet cleanly.
2. Presumably you want to keep the taps central to the sink bowl, so as you say you would have to move both tap holes 10 mm towards each other.
3. Tap holes are usually 35 mm in diameter. So if you could get taps with a base diameter of, say, 60 mm, the base would cover the edge of the slot.
4. About 8 years ago I made a brass washer to cover a tap hole for a customer, to avoid her buying a new bath. The materials cost wasn't much, but the chrome plating cost the best part of £100.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back