Fitting Exterior Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a 5a exterior motion detecter outside light.

I am planning to wire this up to a 13a plug, using Twin and Earth (T+E) 1mm2 cable. Run it through to the garage and simply plug it into the socket.

Some people I have spoken to have recommended against this.

Please help.

Sponsored Links
HI.

is it not feasible for you to hard wire the light into either the lighting circuit of your house or the ring main?

you could use a switched fcu fitted with the fuse for your light and also it would act as a switch for the on/off of the light.

do not use twin and earth to wire the light into a plug.....this isnt what this type of cable is meant for!

you could however use a suitable flex from the light to a plug and plug it into a socket using the switch as a on/off for the light.

cant say am keen on this as it doesnt always look the best but technically there's nothing wrong with it if its done correctly.

Hi

"you could however use a suitable flex from the light to a plug and plug it into a socket using the switch as a on/off for the light. "

The above is exactly what I am looking to do. What do you consider a "suitable flex"?

would it be OK to use a 1.0 mm2 with 10 amp current? as I have all the cable clips for it now?

Sponsored Links
no dont use that flex, its not designed for out door use, use arctic flex if you must

.......and make sure you clip the cable to the wall out of the way of potential damage.

also make sure you the gland closes up properly onto the flex where it enters the light fitting. this will prevent water/moisture getting in.

Yep and also remember that it needs to be RCD protected outside unless it is in a untouchable position, ie requires steps. Oh and part p does apply as it is an Installation and not portable.
;)

... and outside...
Proper way, FCU, preferably the rcd type, unless socket it is spured off is on an RCD already and in itself not a spur.
Artic or H05/7 to light or conduit to light and then box and said cable to lamp, complete with all the various glanding and waterproofing.
Check main bonds in house, gas and water, size of main cpc, cross bonding under sinks etc. This is a requirement for testing.
When you find out that the main bond is a bit of 4mm, and there is no cross bnds and equipotential bonding, no gas and water bonds, and a fuseboard out of the ark, think twice and let someone else take on the liability.

breezer said:
no dont use that flex, its not designed for out door use, use arctic flex if you must
Oops, only noted the bit about it going through the garage - got it in my head that it would go straight into the light :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back