Fitting external expansion vessel to sealed system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an Ideal Combi 30, and my expansion vessel internal membrane has failed (CH is sealed system, and pressure drops overnight to zero, and water leaks from Schrader valve ) I have also discovered this boiler's internally fitted 8 litre EV is underrated for my 12 rad system.
When I fit the external EV (18 litre includes new filling loop, PRV and pressure gauge kit).

Should I blank off the union that originally connected to the faulty EV, or leave the vessel in the system as it is only leaking internally? I would prefer to blank it off if ok to do so.

I will leave the original PRV and pressure gauge in situ.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Paul.

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't be removing the front cover of your boiler, as it forms the safety room seal that prevents carbon monoxide escaping into your room, and the regulatory 26:9 checks need to be carried out by a Gas Safe Registered Engineer before the boiler is operated again.

You shouldn't need to cap off the internal boiler vessel unless it's actually leaking, but as mentioned above this is GSR territory on this boiler anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back