Fitting extractor fan through roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am not sure this is the right section but I would appreciate it if you could guide me in the right direction.

I want to get an in-line extractor fitted in the loft space to serve the bathroom immediately below, this is the one I have in mind:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/vent-axia...jQpzlTQpmCG60Q1GDrC0Q!173837257!1357677564192

It wouldn't be possible to route the exhaust to the soffit as it is very narrow and wouldn't accommodate the 100mm grille, however I have been told it can be vented from a Versa-tile with the adapter:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/versa-tile-colour-brown/87207

The problem is, I am unsure who to call to carry out this sort of work? I would ideally like someone to do everything but if it isn't possible then I could call a roofer in to fit the tile and someone else to do the rest. Is there anyone on here who would be happy to do the work?

Regards,

Sponsored Links
I was in exactly this position about 2 months ago.

I got a local chap I found in the paper to fit the versa tile with the intention of doing the extract fan myself.

Cost about £200 for the versatile, labour and to clean and replace a few sections of gutters.

I would have done it but the mrs was worried about me on the ladder!

David, i think that you would be better off moving your post to the sparkies forum. Sparkies run far more extractors than the average, general builder.

AAMOI, there are adaptors to use at soffits (altho soffits can be a PITA to work at).

Anyway, the sparkies will advise.

Thanks for the replies, I have decided to get a roofer in to fit the versa-tile, install the fan and get a sparky to wire it up.

Sponsored Links
I have just had a look at the manual for the fan and it says that the ductwork must slope downwards from the fan on both the inlet and outlet, this will be possible on the inlet but the outlet has to go UP to the roof! Would this be to prevent water ingress or some other technical reason?

It's to prevent your moist warm air condensing in the cold pipe and running back through the fan.

I think you're supposed to fit a condensation trap in this instance.

I didn't - but I used insulated flexible hosing. Length from fan to tile is only about 30cm anyway, so don't envisage any problems.

It's to prevent your moist warm air condensing in the cold pipe and running back through the fan.

I think you're supposed to fit a condensation trap in this instance.

I didn't - but I used insulated flexible hosing. Length from fan to tile is only about 30cm anyway, so don't envisage any problems.

Ahh I was going to use insulated ducting anyway. Where did you get your insulated ducting from?

Just to update this thread, I got the tile fitted for under £100 and done the rest myself. Managed to get the ductwork to slope downwards; didn't realise we had a raised section of floor in the loft. The fan is a Vent Axia ACM100T which is excellent, very quiet and effective :)

Thanks for all the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back