Fitting Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: Fitting a Manrose Humidity Timer Fan in bathroom. Have connected to the lighting circuit via a 3 way junction box with twin and earth cable to run to a 6A triple pole fan isolator and this is where i'm unsure, the isolator has 3 connections L1 - L3 x two and the flex running to the fan is twin, no earth required. Can someone tell me which cable,flex goes where please. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Sorry to be a drunken pain but are you aware the council needs to be notified about this work as it soinds like it is in a special location?

Yes i am but as long as its in keeping with current regulations, i don't see it being a issue unless i intend to sell up.

But if something did happen you could get into a lot of trouble. Even if you can wire stuff to the regs can you test it all to the regs? That is the problem with DIY wiring, and something I really only recently learned because of this site.

Sponsored Links
If i did sell up in the future, i think it would add weight to the new home buyer reports if i had the wiring inspected and passed if and when i sell but in the meantime any advice on the job in hand. :)

Yes i am but as long as its in keeping with current regulations, i don't see it being a issue unless i intend to sell up.
The issue is that you're not doing it in keeping with the current regulations, because they require you to notify your LABC.

If you think that everyone should disregard your criminal activity and give you advice on how to do something that you're underqualified to do, then you've come to the wrong forum.

If i did sell up in the future, i think it would add weight to the new home buyer reports if i had the wiring inspected and passed if and when i sell but in the meantime any advice on the job in hand. :)

It doesn’t work like that my friend; the only “inspection” your likely to be able to get after the event is a periodic inspection & that wont confirm it has been done in accordance with the regulations. It’s not a certificate of compliance & generally won’t be acceptable for you to get one & you WILL need one; the only person who can certify the work compliant after the event is a Building Inspector. Have you also considered that in the (albeit unlikely) case that your property burns down taking all your worldly possessions with it & those nice firemen prove it’s down to your wiring job, your insurance company probably won't pay you a bean :cry:

Forgive me i thought this came under work you can do yourself under the regulations, they state you can replace existing accessories such as lights, sockets outlets, switches, fused spurs etc. Given that their was originally a fan installed (ceased working) with cable running to a fused connection unit within the bathroom, i saw this as a replacement.

Ahhh, you didn’t say that in your original post did you! You are allowed to replace like with like so if you’re just replacing the fan unit then OK; but this doesn’t include new circuits or isolating switches. Can’t advise on the connections I’m afraid without seeing the circuit & the fan wiring instructions, perhaps someone else can. Have a look in the sticky at the front of this forum, lots of generic wiring diagrams for all sorts of things.

Sorry for the misunderstanding and i appreciate the concerns over safety, i so want to live. Unfortunately i've mislayed the Manrose instructions but trying to follow their guidelines from website but as explained came unstuck regards isolator switch connections and don't want to get it wrong. The Marbo Excel fan isolator lists two diagrams, fan isolator without timer lists twin & earth cable from junction box to L1-L3, earth and switch live and neutral from L1,L3 to fan and diagram with timer lists 3 core & earth cable to L1,L2,L3, earth and switch live L1, permanent live L2, neutral L3 to fan. The fan is a humidity with adjustable timer version and uses two core neutral and live flex, no earth required. This is where i got lost, how can i connect as per diagram of fan isolator with timer when the flex only contains permanent live & neutral !. The fan does have connections for N, SL, & L.

That number is not mentioned on the Manrose site. Usually a fan will have a very exhaustive product label. My Manrose fan has it on the back and also inside.

I stand corrected, its a Domus H12 Humidstat model, wanted Manrose as have had in the past but didn't stock so purchased Domus equivalent of model wanted, controls work the same, adjustable humidity and timer levels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back