Extractor Fan Isolation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted an isolation switch for an extractor fan. The cable to the fan runs around 3 walls, so I could easily tap into it by drilling through from outside the bathroom.

The cable is T&E (switched live, neutral and earth) so there is no permanent live to the fan (no run on). The switch I have is a triple pole isolation switch but I just used L1 and N and left the L2 empty so its working as a double pole isolation switch.

I connected the earths together using a connector, but would it have been OK to connect the earths using the spare L2 of the switch?

Sponsored Links
I fitted an isolation switch for an extractor fan. The cable to the fan runs around 3 walls, so I could easily tap into it by drilling through from outside the bathroom.

I guess it runs horizontally from the fan? The safe zone only goes along one wall, that's the end of your safe zone unless there is another switch etc on the next wall at the same height.
So you are correct in your
I could easily tap into it by drilling through from outside the bathroom.
If it isnt you then it may be the next owner of the property.
That is dangerous. Rip it out and do it properly.

By the way, what did the BCO say when they inspected the cabling at first fix time. You did notify them that you were carrying out electrical works in a bathroom, didn't you?

The cable is T&E (switched live, neutral and earth) so there is no permanent live to the fan (no run on). The switch I have is a triple pole isolation switch but I just used L1 and N and left the L2 empty so its working as a double pole isolation switch.

That part is fine

I connected the earths together using a connector, but would it have been OK to connect the earths using the spare L2 of the switch?

The connector is fine. No you must not use the L2 terminal, what do you think the "L" stands for?

Noob by name, noob by nature, IMO

I guess it runs horizontally from the fan? The safe zone only goes along one wall, that's the end of your safe zone unless there is another switch etc on the next wall at the same height.
Unless within 150mm from ceiling, perhaps.

That is dangerous. Rip it out and do it properly.
It isn't dangerous, the horizontal runs are from other switches and the bathroom lights (the lights are on the walls not ceiling as its a sloped roof). In addition, the room is only 5 feet high at that point so the cable is within 15cm on the ceiling. The cabling is in the save zones I believe, but I haven't modified that anyway.

By the way, what did the BCO say when they inspected the cabling at first fix time. You did notify them that you were carrying out electrical works in a bathroom, didn't you?.

I haven't carried out any work in the bathroom. I fitted a switch outside the bathroom so it isn't notifiable.

Sponsored Links
A bathroom isn't necessarily a special location anyway. The extractor fan is non-zoned for starters. Its a shame that so many threads sink to this since part p, it's not even relevent to the question.

I just wanted to know the consequences had I connect all wires to the switch, including the earth. I'm pretty sure that switches can't read the labels btw, and isolate whatever wire you connect...

The earth would only be isolated when the live and neutral were isolated, so not theoretically dangerous? Maybe there are some instances where faults cause non-live wires to become live, so isolating all wires is a good thing?

In the absence of a sensible answer, I'll assume that the switch could develop a fault, leaving a live supply to the fan but no earth - hence its dangerous to connect the earth to the switch and earth should always a be continuous, permanent connection.

Leave it to a professional next time son.....

Why? The replies just sound like scaremongering, and misinterpretation of regulations.

If there's something not safe about inserting a switch into an existing cable run I'm all ears, but I'm not going to be conned into ridiculous amounts of unneccesary work done. Redo the wiring behind 3 tiled walls? yeah right...

The stupid thing I did was to cut the earth wire in the first place. I probably could have connected the lives and neutrals to the switch and left the earth alone.

A bathroom isn't necessarily a special location anyway. The extractor fan is non-zoned for starters. Its a shame that so many threads sink to this since part p, it's not even relevent to the question.
Of course it is - Part P applies to any work whatsoever on fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer’s side of the electricity supply meter which operate at low or extra-low voltage and are—
(a) in or attached to a dwelling;
(b) in the common parts of a building serving one or more dwellings, but excluding power supplies to lifts;
(c) in a building that receives its electricity from a source located within or shared with a dwelling; or
(d) in a garden or in or on land associated with a building where the electricity is from a source located within or shared with a dwelling.

The earth would only be isolated when the live and neutral were isolated, so not theoretically dangerous?
It contravenes the Wiring Regulations.

But maybe you know better than the IET.

OK understood.

Of course not, I never suggested that I do. As stated in the OP, I connected the earths separately using a connector.

I had 2 ends of earth wire to connect together. I had a spare terminal in the switch. It made me wonder if I could use the spare terminal that's all.

OK understood.
Of course not, I never suggested that I do. As stated in the OP, I connected the earths separately using a connector. I had 2 ends of earth wire to connect together. I had a spare terminal in the switch. It made me wonder if I could use the spare terminal that's all.
In an attempt to be accurate about this, actually 'interupting' the earth wire with the usused switch would be explicity in contravention with the Wiring Regulations - which do not allow switches in earth wires [even though, as you say, the L&N would also be disconnected whenever the earth was, there are theoretical dangers in having the earth disconnected even when there L&N are disconnected by the switch].

However, to make use of one terminal of an unused switch as a means of connecting together two earth wires (or, indeed, just as 'something to do with' a single earth wire with no other home) is something I've seen done (may even have done it myself) which carries no obvious hazard and is not, as far as I am aware, explicitly prohibited by the regs. I'm sure some will say that it is 'not good practice', but I would personally probable struggle to understand what actual problem/issue it presented.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back