3 pole isolator switch for extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've just got a 3 pole isolator switch with three terminals (L1, L2 and N) on each side for a new extractor fan for the bathroom which has a built-in pullcord (and no timer).

I'm replacing a broken extractor fan and my question is about the switch on the wall outside the bathroom. The old swithc currently has earths connected to a terminal but this new MK one has no such thing. What should I do with the earth cables - are they required?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Connect them all to the earth terminal in the backbox if its metal, if not connect them in some choc block

Hi it's a plastic box. Just got a 15A 12 way plastic connector strip. Should I cut off two terminals and connect all the earths together in it?

Sponsored Links
Hi it's a plastic box. Just got a 15A 12 way plastic connector strip. Should I cut off two terminals and connect all the earths together in it?
Yes just cut a pair off and terminate all the CPC/earth cable in to it, the earth cables should also be sleeved with green and yellow PVC sleeving.

Thanks - the earths have PVC sleeving and are joined via a connector and the isolator switch is much smarter and better looking than the switch it replaced! Now just to replace the extractor fan...!

No - cut one off, that way they will all end up connected together. If you cut two off, and use them both, some earths will not be connected to some others.

Sorry that's what I meant - I cut one pair off and connected all the earths together as they were. Thanks :)

What do you mean 'one pair'

You want one single piece of connector strip.

Yes that's what i meant, a single strip with two screws. Not familiar with electrical lingo! Thanks for your help fan is much better and working well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back