Fitting/filling electric towel rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Have just bought an electric heated towel rail, it can also be connected to the CH system but i'll only be using it as electric only. The supplier has said i'll need to fill the rad with 90% water and 5% inhibitor leaving the other 5% for expansion. Can you guys just confirm thats correct and also sugest a good inhibitor to use and where i could purchase some online, id rather avoid the sheds if possible for anything i may need. I do have a plumbing merchants locally if you think they may be best to get some inhibitor from?

Cheers guys
Dan

Sponsored Links
When I have fitted towel warmers with an electric element only, I like to leave a 10% expansion gap.

I always mix in a cup of something like Fernox or Sentinel central heating corrosion inhibitor with the water I'm putting in it.

I would buy the inhibitor locally at your merchants or Screwfix or even the sheds. Getting it posted to you will end up costing more, as a litre of inhibitor will be approx a kilogram in weight.

Be aware that one of these towel rails is exactly what it says ie. it's for heating towels. It won't be man enough to take the place of a proper radiator and heat a bathroom.

Hi WS66,

Thanks for replying back and your advice, will let you know how i get on.

Dont worry there's already a rad on the CH in the bathroom but it spends most its time covered in towels so defeating its purpose really which then leaves the bathroom feeling chilly. The rail is purely for heating towels and will be handy throughout the summer when the CH isnt switched on.

All the best
Dan

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back