fitting flashing over concrete lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have an old 50s house and need to install concrete lintels on the outer leaf for the downstairs window openings, prior to replacing the windows. Am I right in thinking the correct way to install flashing would be on top of the new lintel, and up/sitting back against the inner leaf spanning the cavity? Is the idea is any moisture dripping/moving down inside the cavity is directed by the flashing outside?

Also, any recommendations on type of flashing to use/brand names worth looking for?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you mean cavity tray?

Polythene DPC of suitable width chased in to the inner leaf.

Concrete lintels in the outer leaf! Are you sure? It will look really naff.

A steel single leaf lintel built in with matching brickwork would look a lot better.

Sponsored Links
Hi. I'm just aware how much everything costs these days. I'm fairly confident I could hire some props, prop the wall, remove bricks, fit a concrete lintel and then to improve the look you can get for example acrylic brick slips in a contrasting colour to give the appearance of a new soldier course. If I hire a builder to do it (especially round here in the South East) it'll likely cost a fortune. One snag I seem to have hit is that despite the BC surveyor saying a concrete lintel would be acceptable he says that my application is for replacement windows and does "NOT include structural changes". I'd have thought it was obvious if replacing windows and a new lintel is required then you be allowed to fit it! He did ask why I wanted to remove the soldiers, maybe he's thinking I'm trying to make the opening bigger or something? I'm not...but it really would look weird to fit a concrete lintel underneath (if that what he was thinking) and make the opening for the window smaller.

You can replace widows without replacing the lintels. You can replace a lintel without replacing the window.

The former is an application under Part L1b, the latter under Part A, and the two are different, require different checks and different fees, and it's not up to the Council to guess what work you are actually doing.

A 1.8m single leaf steel lintel is about £50, and will also serve as a cavity tray. You'd be mad to mess about with a concrete and bits of dpc and brick slips to save £20-30.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back