Fitting immersion heater to hot water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just got a few questions about fitting an immersion heater to my hot water tank (as currently its just heated via my boiler).

I have a 900 x 600 96 ltr vented indirect cylinder and would like to know the following...

1) what size immersion heater should be fitted? (the physical size and power)

2) how should the immersion be wired? What size cable? Via a fused switch? What size mcb?

3) under regulations will this require it's own circuit from the consumer unit?

I realised after being away at the weekend and having the hot water and heating switched off that if my boiler fails I have no way to heat water and so therefore would like to install an immersion as backup.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
neil7744";p="2289515 said:
I have a 900 x 600 96 ltr vented indirect cylinder and would like to know the following...

1) what size immersion heater should be fitted? (the physical size and power)

27"- 3kw

2) how should the immersion be wired? What size cable? Via a fused switch? What size mcb?

2.5mm immersion cable to a switched spur with single radial wire back to fuse box, fuse at 20amp.

3) under regulations will this require it's own circuit from the consumer unit?

Yes

Hope that helps

Andy

I assume you've checked you actually have somewhere to put it, IE there's a hole for the immersion that's currently capped off? If not, you can't make one, you need a new cylinder.

It's cheaper to heat the cylinder using your boiler than it is using an immersion, and it's faster too, so as you have suggested the immersion should be backup only.

You'll need to get a qualified electrician to do the electrical work.

Sponsored Links
Should be a fused at 13A switched spur.

Cable should be heat resisting!

Some use 1.5mm2 cable which is only JUST adequate!

If there is no boss on cylinder some will solder one on! Not rec for DIY though!

Tony

If not, you can't make one, you need a new cylinder.
Can't you? What are 21/4" Essex Flanges designed to do then? :rolleyes:
33.JPG

Should be a fused at 13A switched spur.

No it shouldn't.

It should be supplied from a dedicated radial with a 16A MCB. No duplicate fuse required at the switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back