Fitting induction hob into granite worktop - Hole too big!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been trying to find an induction hob to replace our broken existing electric hob which seems to be a non-standard size. The existing one is 900mm by 370mm and despite searching high and low the standard now seems to be 350mm deep. So the problem is the cutout in the granite worktop is 360mm which will leave a gap along the long edge. I've got an idea how to cover the gap (using thin black border tiles fixed with high temp black sealant) however I'm concerned about the stress on the unsupported long edge when there's a heavy pan/ casserole dish in the middle of the hob given it's just made of glass.

I'm thinking of fixing a thin wooden batten to the inside edge of the granite cutout for the glass to sit on but am concerned about drilling into the granite to fix it there. Have read lots of stuff about drilling into granite for bigger holes using a diamond saw but no-one seems to have drilled small holes for rawl plugs. Any ideas for what bit to use or other ideas to fix the batten to the granite. Bit sketchy about drilling into the worktop as could cause cracks. Should I just forget the batten as the hob being supported on 3 sides will be fine?

Been scratching my head over this one for a while.

Cheers

Dan

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Will fix the thin wooden batten to the granite with ct1 adhesive. Then use 3-4 wooden battens with wedges in the hole to hold in place until dry. Once the hob is fitted I'm going to cut some granite placemats, that are the same colour as the hob, into thin strips if possible. I have a few that the last owner of house left in the cupboard. I've a got a bench mount for my angle grinder so will try cutting the placemats with that. Not bothered if a few crack as there's enough mats for a few mistakes.

Once I've made the granite strips I'll use the same adhesive to glue the granite strips over the exposed batten.

Hob's coming tmrw so will post a pic if all goes well....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back