Fitting internal door catch

M

marsaday

Any help on fitting a door catch. I need to drill a hole for the catch , but not sure what size to do it. I have a std catch which sits into the body of the door.

how do you align the door cylinder with the frame catch ?

Sponsored Links
What is the diameter of the body?
To allign use a pencil and a straight edge.

Depending upon the type of door latch you have (mortice or ball catch) you need an auger bit roughly the same diameter as the latch barrel. Mark the centre on the existing catch on the door frame then mark the centreline of the door edge. You can usually see if the auger bit is going straight into the door when your drilling it, but to make sure it's going in at a right angle to the upright of the door, use a carpenters square to ensure your maintaining a right angle. ;) ;)

Why an auger?
Only use mine with a brace. Otherwise a flat bit. ( I lie sometines use the augers with a drill).

Sponsored Links
You would normally use a 22mm bit. A spade bit would do

Either align the latch with the existing keep, or fit the latch and then mark the position on the lining

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back