new door problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just tried to install a internal door, I have changed the hinges,

The door is exactly the same size as the old one, so I place the new hinges in the same measurement as the old door, I have chiselled so the hinge is flush.

Put it won't close, it catches too much at the top of the door frame, and just skims the bottom of the skirting board, what can I do :(

Sponsored Links
Beg or borrow a plane, and take a few shavings off top and bottom where it catches, a power plane would make short work of this.

Wotan

put the old door back in the frame
if its a good fit with 2-3mm all the way round then use it as a template
if theres bigger gaps write on the old door plus 3mm if the gap is 3mm bigger and write zero mm where it tapers out
if the difference isnt constant then just put plus 1 2 or whatever it is at the point it changes
you then tranfer the point to the new door and join the lines up

a power plane would make short work of this.

And then go and buy a new door and try again! :LOL: :LOL:

With inexperience these can be lethal! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have just tried to install a internal door, I have changed the hinges,

The door is exactly the same size as the old one, so I place the new hinges in the same measurement as the old door, I have chiselled so the hinge is flush.

Put it won't close, it catches too much at the top of the door frame, and just skims the bottom of the skirting board, what can I do :(

Houses settle over time, so a square hole doesn't fit a round peg. When I fitted new doors, lots of plaining/sanding etc, to get doors to fit, especially as I used self closing hinges.

But one door was mean, and wouldn't fit for love nor money...so I borrowed an electric planer, after the door had been of several times.

First skim, no good, refit, 2nd skim, no good..so in aggresion, wound the planer to max, brrrrr....took a huge chunk of wood out. It now fits, but you can limbo under the door!

I bought new doors, and every frame was distorted, so planed the door down, refit, still no fit, take it off, plane, still no fit, borrow an electric planer, still no fit. Set the electric planer, chunks of door came off, you can limbo dance under the doors now!

Are you having a 'senior' moment Micky??? :)

What makes you say that? Have you never fitted doors, in an old property? A new piece of tech, wind it up to max?

I'd never fitted doors, never saw an electronic planer, I was used to a plain old plane...gently shave the layers off...but on the nTh fit, the hinge screws were starting not to fit, electric planer, at max would do the job.

Why critisise? In DIY disasters? The electric planer just took off a little more than I expected on the cheap fibreboard based door, it it was a good old solid door, I would have experienced resistance...

Are you having a 'senior' moment Micky??? :)

What makes you say that? Have you never fitted doors, in an old property? A new piece of tech, wind it up to max?

I'd never fitted doors, never saw an electronic planer, I was used to a plain old plane...gently shave the layers off...but on the nTh fit, the hinge screws were starting not to fit, electric planer, at max would do the job.

Why critisise? In DIY disasters? The electric planer just took off a little more than I expected on the cheap fibreboard based door, it it was a good old solid door, I would have experienced resistance...

Umm... Micky... I think the second part of your name might be coming into play...
I think Karinska was commenting on your double posting above, (which I'm guessing you hadn't noticed), not your skills at power planing new limbo equipment :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back