Door Hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to change the hinges on my internal doors.
The new ball bearing hinges are the same size in length but the holes are in different places and do not line up with the holes made with the screw for the old hinges.

I feel that if I put the new hinges on in new holes the new holes will be to close to the old ones causing a weakness.

Are there any ways around this?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
yes, you buy some round dowling in the closest available size to the old screw-holes

drill out the old holes so they are clean and round

tap in pieces of the dowel cut to the right length, with a strong woodglue smeared on the dowel and also brushed into the hole. I use Evo-stik wood glue, you can use the Resin W green bottle (interior) or blue bottle (weatherproof). As I do very little woodwork I get the blue one as a bottle lasts me a long time and can be used outside.

let the glue set

the wooden frame is now pretty well solid so you can drill your new holes and they will not cave in to the old holes.

Sponsored Links
the point of filling the old holes is to prevent the new screws breaking through into the old hole. If the old hole is filled solid the web won't collapse. If it has odd scraps in it then it won't be solid, so won't be strong and is likely to break when the new screws are driven home.

but doesnt it depend on how big the orriginal holes are/were,i do agree that what ever you put in the hole requires glue,i just do not see how it nessitates drilling out and installing a dowel.but hey my trick was told to me by a (very old school chippy with i.o.c).

Squirt some wood glue in the old holes.

Whittle some timber scraps into a slightly tapered stick.

Tap these firmly into the holes.

Wait for the glue to set.

Snap the excess timber off or lop the excess off with a chisel.

Personally I wouldn't bother at all unless the new holes need to be very near the old. Just make sure the new screwholes are piloted first so the screws don't separate the grain too much.

Simon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back