Kitchen cabinet door 'hell' broken door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to strengthen a kitchen cabinet door. The present hinges have split the door.
I know first I need to make good the door.
But, what is the best way to strengthen the door/hinges? Is it to put a completely new extra hinge on (with the present hinges)? Or, should I remove all the present hinges and replace with new bigger hinges?
A friend suggested I put a piece of wood down the length of the door where the hinges are presently, thus to give me a new surface to drill the concealed hinge holes, and then put bigger hinges on. But I can't help think the door will not close flush if I do this.

Please help.

To make matters worse I need a hinge with a 165 degree opening and I cannot buy a new door as the company that made it has gone out of business.

Cheers

James

Sponsored Links
Hey,

Presently they are 165 degree Salice hinges.
I'll have to do pics tonight and then post. Sorry.

With kitchen recessed hinges fitted the door can be repaired with car body filler which will leave it stronger than original, if the cup'd mounting position is chewed you can relocate the hinges 60mm above or below their current position depending on door size.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help, it's really appreciated.
One last thing, if I put a strip of wood along the inside of the door over the old holes, and then put the new concealed hinges into that, would I create myself a problem with the door closing flush?

I think that makes sense!?

James, Last question. Answer Yes.
Google dry-sil.co.uk. Look for Kitchen door replacement plate. Buy pair £7.98.
Any problems, come back. Will watch post for a week.
old un

Awesome, just bought the repair plates. Thanks!

I'm thinking of putting some stronger hinges on the door too. Not sure if it would make any difference, but it's worth a try.

Thanks again all for your help!

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back