Fitting kitchen

Sponsored Links
To rest the cupboards on and save someone else holding them up while you mark off to drill for the permanent support brackets.

As to the instruction about fitting cupboards first, ignore it.

A number of reasons.

By doing the base cupboards first you will get a better idea of how high you can reach as it allows you to stand where you will in reality. A false height would be assumed if you stood right next to the cupboard.

Doing the cupboards first will allow you to prop the wall units on something once you decide on the height and so avoid drilling unnecessary holes for temporary battens.

Doing the cupboards first increases the chances of knocking your head against them when doing the base units.

You can align the cupboard ends up more accurately with the base units as the base units will need to be in line with the services, (gas/water etc). Nothing worse than making a good job only to discover/have someone notice the sides of the cupboards are not in line with any base unit sides. looks horrible.

This is all from personal experience.

I agree that it would seem totally wrong to hang the wall units first.

You'll definitely bang your head on them.

Floor units first, get them where they need to be, then you can gauge things like height of tiles (if applicable) and door handles etc to decide how high the wall units should be...

Sponsored Links
To add to the above, if you do the base cupboards first you can also tweak the height of your wall cupboard in case it suits any tiling you do above a worktop.

Ok I've today finished assembling the base units.

The units are 850 (including adjustable legs which I've fully retracted when I fitted). The worktop is 40mm thick to go on top. So I'm going to allow 160mm for the plinth (as 6mm underlay and 12mm laminate to go down)

Do I need to fit every unit to every unit? What fittings do I use? The instructions say to use fittings not supplied.

I'm going to start in the corner (it's an L shape) and work back.

Not sure what fittings to use to secure the units to the walls? One wall is 2x4 stud the other is sand cement screed over corrugated stone wall. Cheers

Do I need to fit every unit to every unit? What fittings do I use? The instructions say to use fittings not supplied.

Yes, fix all units together. Wickes kitchens usually come with double-headed fixing screws for joining but I prefer to screw the units together under the door hinges wherever possible to give a secret fixing. You can usually screw through the cheeks at the back to keep those fixings hidden too.

It's essential to keep everything level and plumb so line everything up before fixing to the wall. 'L' shape brackets are fine to secure to the wall using screws and plugs on the masonry wall. With luck you may be able to find studs to fix to on the stud wall.

If you have any full height units, that will determine the level for the wall units,

Don't worry about plinth height too much as it will normally need trimming down anyway. That is the last thing to fit when everything else is in place.

Yes, fix all units together. Wickes kitchens usually come with double-headed fixing screws for joining but I prefer to screw the units together under the door hinges wherever possible to give a secret fixing. You can usually screw through the cheeks at the back to keep those fixings hidden too.

It's essential to keep everything level and plumb so line everything up before fixing to the wall. 'L' shape brackets are fine to secure to the wall using screws and plugs on the masonry wall. With luck you may be able to find studs to fix to on the stud wall.

If you have any full height units, that will determine the level for the wall units,

Don't worry about plinth height too much as it will normally need trimming down anyway. That is the last thing to fit when everything else is in place.

Hi KB, just wanted to be clear on what screws to use. Can you post a link to the correct ones if possible? All units are 15mm thick chipboard. I've never seen double headed screws before and a little confused.

If I can't locate a stud along the cavity wall what then?

EDIT : Great idea about fitting under the hinges

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back