Fitting laminate floor around quandrant shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am new to the group so please bear with me.
We are doing a referb of the bathroom and have fitted a quadrant shower cubical so of course the tray is of a quadrant shape.
I believe with laminate (have purchased the type specially for bathrooms) you are to leave a small gap around the outside area for contraction and expansion. Is there any suggestion other than silicon around the outside of the base of the tray to trim the edges where the quadrant tray meets the laminate?
We have already cut the shape with the gap and placed it down on the floor but then realised that all edgings available at the usual DIY superstores appear to be in straight lengths, so wonder if there is some way of making the gap look good at the same time has making it waterproof has I can foresee this would be a problem area for damp to ingress the floor boarding below the laminate and possibly damaging the downstairs ceiling.
I did a general search on the net but couldn’t find an answer. I am sure other people must have a similar problem with shaped area’s.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Laminate should not be used in the bathroom, it should be tiled.

The 'bathroom' grade of laminate will still suffer in the bathroom.

Now if it's already fitted and too late to tile then can't you fit the front of the shower facia to cover the floor?

Post some pics if possible.

Andy

Perhaps UPVC quadrant might work if you can figure a way to hold it in position while the silicone / adhesive goes off.
I think I would alter what you have laid so you can fit the shower tray onto the laminate & seal with silicone then rely on the expantion gap on the other walls to cope with movement.
Regards,
footprints

Laminate should not be used in the bathroom, it should be tiled.

The 'bathroom' grade of laminate will still suffer in the bathroom.

Now if it's already fitted and too late to tile then can't you fit the front of the shower facia to cover the floor?

Post some pics if possible.

Andy

Thanks for your reply. I have just opened an album but not sure how you get to it.
Flooring already purchased but the laminate has a lifetime guarentee and is bathroom quality. Was not keen on tiles thought it would firstly make the room to cold and not happy at laying tiles on board rather than a solid floor as you would have if on ground level.

Thanks once again
Regards Jean B

View media item 46755

Sponsored Links
Perhaps UPVC quadrant might work if you can figure a way to hold it in position while the silicone / adhesive goes off.
I think I would alter what you have laid so you can fit the shower tray onto the laminate & seal with silicone then rely on the expantion gap on the other walls to cope with movement.
Regards,
footprints
Many thanks for your reply. Any idea where you can purchase UPVC quadrant?
Have looked on the major DIY sites but as yet not come across this. Unfortunetly the shower tray and cubical is already all fitted in,
We needed to do it this way so that there is a way to get at the pipes that are running underneath the plinth that has been built for the shower cubicle (and where the previous bath was) incase of any problems in the future making it accesable, If we had laid the laminate underneath the tray then we would not be able to get to the plumbing.
Regards Jean

http://www.1926woodflooring.co.uk/acatalog/info_705020.html

If you do have problem in the future then maybe cut out a small border section with floor tiles with the correct trim from tiles to laminated

Many thanks for link. I am going to go to Wicks and B & Q tomorrow so now I know what to look for I am thinking that it's a bit pricy for a bit of trim.

Has it's a small area covered by laminate floor boards we have re-adjusted it and brought the shaping closer to the tray giving a little more space on the oposite side for expansion. For now have filled the gap neatly with bathroom silicon but if I can find a flexi trim like this company is selling I will probably get it just to give it a nice finish.

Regards Jean B

Wickes sell it £2.49 a length.

I don't know if the link will be removed but here goes!
http://search.wickes.co.uk/search#ts=ajax&method=and&w=upvc quadrant&isort=score

Mind you that looks quite a tight bend! still its worth a try pop the quadrant somewhere warm for a while or maybe heat it gently with a hair dryer to make it as pliable as possible

Best wishes
footprints
]

Many thanks.
I am going to go and look at it tomorrow or I should say later today. Just see if it is at all flexible, If it is it would be great. Will let you know what the outcome is.
Regards JeanB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back