Fitting new 5111603 PCB to suprima 50

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

After reading posts on this forum I have bit the bullet and bought a 5111603 PCB kit for my Potterton Suprima 50 boiler.

The new PCB comes with the wiring loom attached.

My main concern is the new pcb has a 5 terminal molex block connector for the gas valve which has one red and one black wire (with the other 3 holes free). The one currently fitted in my boiler also has the red and black wires but the remaining 3 positions are filled with one green/yellow earth wire and a white wire which loops out from terminal 2 and goes into terminal 4.

Does the new PCB no longer need these addtional wires and therefore I can just plug the new PCB in?

I have no problems in building PC's so have read that I should be able to replace this PCB? ie I am not a plumber / electrician. Is this task suitable or should it really be a corgi guy doing the job?

Feedback appreciated
Cheers

Sponsored Links
nope you shouldnt the pcb controls the safety features of your boiler and according to gas safety installation and use regs 199 you must be a competent person to fit it

sorry

sure the others will disagree till time immemorial but thats what its says in the regs, and what CORGI

also you have to remove the combustion chamber cover to fit this board which for you is a defo no no

Agree with previous comment..
and it would be a terrible shame to stuff up a brand new board by fitting it wrong.....

Thanks for your swift reply Corgiman.

I certainly will not take any risks so will therefore arrange for a Corgi qualified engineer out to fit.

The step by step instructions certainly tempted me to have a go, were it not for the problem mentioned in my original post.

So I dont waste a call out fee, can the engineer fit this kit or have I got the wrong one?

It seems the 5111603 kit for this boiler is a common puchase for Suprima owners!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
thereis a common fault with suprima boards that happens to them.you get this, when it cuts down on the boiler stat or room stat it doesnt come back on and you have to reset it all the time.

I agree about the CORGI but the very sad thing is that the quality of CORGIs leaves very much to be desired in some cases.

Today I went to a new boiler. It was a system boiler and the installer had wired its supply to the output of the controls. When there was no call for heat there was no permanent live and so the internal frost stat and pump over run were inactive.

More STUPIDLY he removed the thermostat link "because the book said remove the link when external controls are fitted". This guy "has been fitting boilers for 20 years".

That level of stupidity amazes me but is an every day occurance!

Tony

Have to agree. The average plumber is perfectly able to follow instructions and work through a problem even as a novice. But, alarmingly frequently, it's astonishing what one finds, done by people who should know, and do, better.

Edit much later : the new boards are going wrong too, but they last a lot longer than some of the originals.
Quite often when that happens there's a fault on the boiler which has caused it - which a diyer wouldn't know to look for. If you're unlucky the new board will make a click and then be scrap. New looking ones killed like that, seem to find their way onto ebay... :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back