Fitting new boiler - should I also convert from microbore?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We will be fitting a new boiler in a couple of months (the current one is really old and clanky) and I wondered if that would be an oportune time to replace the current microbore system with "normal" heating (as you can see, I am not a plumber so I hope you understand what I mean by "normal" !) .

We have 14 rads in the house, 2 of which are heated towel rails. Upstairs is normal floorboards and downstairs we have concrete floors.

Do you think that this a good idea, or is it going to be a load of hassle and very expensive ? Can I expect to get problems with the microbore pipes if I put a new combi boiler in ?

Any advice would be appreciated....

(The only reason I am thinking of changing the pipes is because of all the horror stories I have seen on here concerning microbore, and the fact that the current pipes clank away constantly :( )

Sponsored Links
There's nothing wrong with microbore if properly designed and installed. If the existing system works (apart from the boiler) then why change it? As for the clanking, I think that is likely to be caused by the boiler, not microbore pipes. You will in any case have the system cleansed and flushed as part of the new boiler installation. That should confirm that all the microbore is free flowing.

In my opinion, thats a BIG "if"..re; installed properly :cry: Because microbore was invented to save the installer time- not for any customer benifits- though there may be some alleged ones :LOL:

Sponsored Links
chrishutt said:
There's nothing wrong with microbore if properly designed and installed. If the existing system works (apart from the boiler) then why change it? As for the clanking, I think that is likely to be caused by the boiler, not microbore pipes. You will in any case have the system cleansed and flushed as part of the new boiler installation. That should confirm that all the microbore is free flowing.

When you say the the clanking we get is most lilkely caused by the boiler, how do I find this out ?
What happens is that as soon as the boiler comes on, there is a loud clanking that sounds the same as when the pipes expand and catch on something such as a joist, except that this happens the instant the boiler is on and is the sound is constant (about every 2 seconds) until the boiler goes off. The sound appears to be coming from in/near the airing cupboard (where the main pipes come into the hot water tank,pump, and up to the header tank) but there is no clanking sound apparent from the boiler in the kitchen.
Does this still sound like it is the boiler causing this ?
thanks for your help.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back