fitting new ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a new ceiling light, its a rail with 4 halogen bulbs. I'm replacing a light which was of a similar style. I can use the same fitting to secure the light to the ceiling however previously the earth was connected to the light itself. If i was to replace the light properly then I would have to use the new fitting which holds an earth point, however this does not fit. If i use the existing fitting i can easily replace the light but it will not be earthed. What i want to know is, can i fit it anyway without it being earthed or is it imperative that the light has the earth connected. PS my family was always a bit lazy when it came to electrical work. Plugs and matchsticks come to mind.

Sponsored Links
Ditto. Earth it. Had my mother ask me same question when wanting to change to brass switch plates and no earth present!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back