Ceiling light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm fitting a ceiling light. Having removed the old one, there are two red wires and a black one coming into a box, then an earth.

The light i am fitting only has a brown and blue connections (but no wire). It says it doesn't need an earth.

The previous light fitting had a brown and blue wire coming off it, connected to one of the reds and the black. With the earth hooped around the light fitting itself.

How do I make the two work together?

I am thinking...
- terminate the earth with a bit of connector box
- get some extra wire, and connect the ceiling box into the connections on the light in the same configuration as the old light

Any advice really appreciated!

Matt

Attachments

• PXL_20240410_075430015.jpg
    PXL_20240410_075430015.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20240410_075549102.jpg
    PXL_20240410_075549102.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 35
Sponsored Links
How do I make the two work together?
What "two" are you referring to ?
Is there more than one light fitting that you are fitting ?
Fitting a suitable junction box ,that can sit above the ceiling , to house the wiring connections, and run from that a two core flex to the light fitting would be one option.

What "two" are you referring to ?
Is there more than one light fitting that you are fitting ?
Fitting a suitable junction box ,that can sit above the ceiling , to house the wiring connections, and run from that a two core flex to the light fitting would be one option.
I'm talking about the wires coming from the ceiling and the light I have. There is just one light.

So, I think you've answered that. Run a two core flex from the box.

But what do I do with the earth wire?

Sponsored Links
The earth conductor would be terminated in its own terminal within a suitable junction box , along with the other conductors in their respective terminals, Your pic is not of a junction box by the way, that is just a terminal block which can NOT be just shoved up into the ceiling.
If the junction box is not accessible it must be a maintenance free junction box .

The earth conductor would be terminated in its own terminal within a suitable junction box , along with the other conductors in their respective terminals, Your pic is not of a junction box by the way, that is just a terminal block which can NOT be just shoved up into the ceiling.
If the junction box is not accessible it must be a maintenance free junction box .
using something like this?
Wago 24A Light Junction Box 39 x 95 x 29mm Grey - Screwfix

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back