Replacing light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am trying to replaced a ceiling light pendant with a LED lamp fitting. Existing bulb holder has two wires, blue and brown that connects to the ceiling fitting but the new lamp fitting has an earth fitting too. I am just not sure where and if I need to connect the earth on new fitting to the ceiling socket and where it need to connect to.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• ar1.jpg
    ar1.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 37
  • ar2.jpg
    ar2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 37
Sponsored Links
i cannot see all the connections in the rose, out of focus image - but the green sleeve is / should be the earth , but would need testing
there used to be a really good website for showing how it was all wired - new nd old colours - but it seems its nolonger avaiilable - maybe just today - so i will post

other wise - these explains it

1706261855907.png

Normally the outer connections are the switched and neutral, but it seems swapped with yours, standard British wiring is to use the ceiling rose as a junction box, so you have 4 connections, earth on clamp, neutral to the outer 3 terminal block, permanent line loop to centre 3 terminal block, and switched line to outer 2 terminal block, for some reason yours is reversed. Note the black in centre is line not neutral do not get it mixed up.

You can get a junction box to replace the ceiling rose 1706262346220.png this converts all the cables into a single one for the light, but easier to replace the chock block 1706262499137.png for a connector strip 1706262599619.png and have 4 connections instead of 3. Cheap enough see here.

Connect a length of green yellow conductor ( you can get 1.5mm from screwfix but it only comes in big reels), one end in the led fitting, the other connected to the existing earth conductor in the rose via a wago or similar.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the inputs. Better picture here I think.

1706267580573.png

Plan is to cut the existing cable to the old light where marked as "x" in the attached pic. Then connect the blue cable to new lamp's check block "N", brown cable to check block "L". The run a small piece of green cable from check block middle slot to ceiling rose where green cable is connected.

Please advise if this is correct?

Thank you

View attachment 330775
Normally the outer connections are the switched and neutral, but it seems swapped with yours, standard British wiring is to use the ceiling rose as a junction box, so you have 4 connections, earth on clamp, neutral to the outer 3 terminal block, permanent line loop to centre 3 terminal block, and switched line to outer 2 terminal block, for some reason yours is reversed. Note the black in centre is line not neutral do not get it mixed up.

You can get a junction box to replace the ceiling rose View attachment 330777 this converts all the cables into a single one for the light, but easier to replace the chock block View attachment 330779 for a connector strip View attachment 330780 and have 4 connections instead of 3. Cheap enough see here.

I may have to call an electrician as the ceiling rose needs to come off for the new clamp to be screwed to the ceiling and also cover the wires/hole. If I get rid of the ceiling rose, I have no idea which cables connect where in the junction box. Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated

Mark the wires before disconnection.

The same wires which are connected together in the rose must be connected together in the junction box.

Thanks all, sorted. Ensured I unplugged wires from each block one time, tape them together and then next one and so on. It was then easy to connect them in connector strip and then connected the new lamp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back